Chapter 35: The End of it All

Chloe:

Mom and Lydia stared at me from their places on the couch as we waited for the storm to pass. Just a few hours ago, Miliani killed Samantha after she found out she'd been working with the Jopok. I was in shock, I mean I just had twins, delivered by the woman. She touched my children.

Christian ended up moving me to the living room, bed and all with the twins, Lisabeth, and our mothers then the rest of them left and told us to wait for them to return. I was starting to get anxious. We heard the bullets ring through the air above us but then it suddenly went silent. We were starting to get worried.

"I hope everyone's alright," Mom sighed.

Lydia let out a heavy breath while I reached into my dress, gripping the gun pressed firmly between my boobs. A weird feeling was clawing at me from inside my still-rounded stomach. Something just didn't feel right about the silence. It made me uneasy. Lisabeth noticed my reaction and to everyone's surprise, she pulled out a tiny pistol from her jeans.

"Lisabeth!" I screeched while her grandparents watched with their jaws hung open, "Where did you get that?"

She blinked at me as I pulled my hand away from my chest and shrugged with a stoic face, "Grandpa gave it to me. Don't worry Mommy, I know how to use it."

"O dios mio," mom hissed, "I can't believe he did this."

Lydia scoffed a laugh and face palmed herself. Everyone turned their attention to her as her laugh turned into a light chuckle.

"That looks a lot like Rachel's first gun," my mother-in-law sighed, "She was just about Lisabeth's age when her uncle gave it to her."

The shock of everything slowly wore away and I let out rugged breath. I was unsure how I felt about the entire situation. Seeing my innocent girl holding such a deadly weapon was alarming but at the same time, I knew it wasn't out of the ordinary with crime families to give their children guns or knives to protect themselves.

My mind ran back to a few months ago when I begged Christian to teach me how to use a gun. It took him a while to accept the fact that I owned one. He definitely wasn't going to like this. Suddenly, the door to the safe house burst open. The four of us jumped and I immediately pulled my gun out from its place and pointed it toward the empty doorway.

At the corner of my eyes, I saw Lisabeth and Lydia both pointing guns toward the doorway as well.

"Come out!" Lydia ordered.

Her voice echoed around the room as a tense silence buzzed around us. Then we heard them, slow footsteps that told us whoever this person was, they weren't our friends and family. Two figures gradually made their way into the doorway and as they did my eyes widened. My heart stopped when I made eye contact with them. How—no why were they here?

Ronald and Jake stood side by side brandishing semi-automatic guns. Jake looked worse than the last time I saw him. He was shabby-looking with long hair and an overgrown beard. Ronald also looked a mess with a scarred face and a bushy beard. Their eyes were wild and murderous as they landed on us four women.

I glanced at my mom, noticing her entire body frozen in fear, and then I shifted my eyes back to her husband whose dark gaze was now fixated on her. Jake's eyes were also burning into my head.

"If you move, I will shoot you both," I snapped, shifting my gaze between them.

Jake scoffed a laugh, "Chloe you won't shoot me. You don't have the guts to do it."

I immediately pulled the trigger, shooting at the ground near his feet. He jumped into the air as the loud bang resonated around the room.

"Try me, Jake, " I snapped, "I am not the same Chloe you used to know."

Jake laughed humourlessly and pointed his gun at me. This time someone beside me pulled the trigger of their gun and a bullet was shot through his shoulder. He let out a hiss and cursed as his gun fell out of his hand.

"Don't you try to hurt my mommy!" Lisabeth screamed.

I looked back at her with wide eyes, realizing she was the one to shoot at him. Christian was definitely not gonna like this.

"Enough!" Ronald snapped, bringing my attention back to him.

He looked between me and my mother, "The two of you have one choice and one choice only; come with us and you will be spared."

"It's three of us, against one of you sir," Lydia scoffed, "I can kill you now for threatening my family."

Ronald laughed, "I wasn't talking to you."

"Don't talk to my grandma like that!" Lisabeth hissed, shooting at him.

He snarled and took a step toward us. In my panic, I shot at him and the bullet went through his forehead. I screamed as his boy dropped to the floor. Jake, who was beside him scrambled for his weapon but didn't get far before a bullet was also put in his head by Lydia.

Silence soon surrounded us as we processed what just happened. Lydia and I stared at each other but while her eyes were calm, mine was full of shock. A few minutes later, I shifted them to my daughter who was now passed out on the couch.

So was this it? Was it over?

"Chloe! Mom! Lisabeth!"

Christian's frantic voice echoed through the tunnels followed by a barrage of footsteps coming our way. There were a million scenarios in my head about how all this would come to an end but this wasn't it. Was it even done?

"Baby! What happened?"

I glanced over my shoulder as the question registered in my head. My chest squeezed as I saw my husband standing in the doorway, his entire body covered in blood, cuts, and bruises. It had to be over, right?"

~~~~~💍~~~~~