Except you - Sam

This is inspired by treehouse by Alex G, I heard it on tiktok the other day and immediately thought of Sam from the first 2 seasons (aka baby Sam!!) :))

not dating!
Warning: Mentions of suicidal thoughts, and death

A/n: I originally went into this wanting to make something cute but it turned out way sadder than I was intending so... oops!

Sams POV:

Me and Dean were sitting in Bobby's living room, Cas sitting opposite to us. It was around 10:00 am and Y/n wasn't up yet, weird. Usually she's up early with me and we get talk about whatever, I make her coffee and she makes me breakfast or we'll go to a diner an pick something up. Our morning routine is my favorite part of the day, I mean she is my favorite person so getting to be around her at anytime is a privilege. She's the sweetest hunter I know, she's so bubbly and constantly has a stupid grin on her face. When she started hunting with Dean and I a year ago my life instantly got better.

Bobby is the one who asked if we could take her with us, she's Bobby's niece (Who knew he had a sister,) after her old hunting partner died. Dean was hesitant but I convinced him to let her come, and neither of us has regretted it since. She really makes our lives happier, without her I don't know what I'd be like. "Dude! Are you even listening to me?" Dean asked, "Yeah uh sorry, don't you think it's weird Y/n isn't up yet?" I asked trying to keep the worry in my voice to a minimum. "Oh, so that's why you aren't listening," he raised an eyebrow at me and a smirk spread across his face. I just rolled my eyes, I really don't feel like dealing with his BS right now. "Dean it isn't like that," I again tried to keep my nervousness to a minimum, if Bobby or Y/n heard this conversation I'd be screwed. "Uh huh.. And how much have you been thinking about our sweet friend this morning?" He asked amused, "Man, just answer the question! It is weird right?" I desperately need to change the subject, "Yeah I guess you're right, I'll go check on her." He said getting up off the couch, "Thanks," I watched as he climbed up the stairs.

"What was dean talking about?" I jumped, forgetting Cas was even here. "Uh, it's nothin Cas don't worry about it," I ran my hand through my hair nervously. Just then Bobby walked in, "Hey boys, where's Dean?" He asked looking around the room with a serious expression. His voice sounded heavy like something bad had happened, "He's going to see if Y/n's up, usually she's up early. We wanted to see if she was all good." I said, his face looked even more serious now. "Hey Bobby what's wrong?" I asked getting up from my seat, my face filled with worry. "He shouldn't do that, in fact you boys should just avoid her today," he said walking up the stairs. "Why?? Hey, hey slow down!" The curiosity was killing me now, I picked up my pace to keep up with him. He paused before turning to me, "It's the anniversary of her sisters death." He said and his lips were in a tight frown. "What? Y/n/n has a sister?" This is news to me, why didn't she tell me? "You mean had boy, that hunting partner she used to work with? Was her younger sister y/s/n." I could feel him studying my face, I couldn't even imagine losing Dean. "I'm surprised she never told you. You two seem so close," I could see the tears in his eyes, I'm guessing y/n and her sister were the only family he had left, except me and Dean.

Bobby continued up the stairs, only to find Dean in front of her door looking very hurt, "Cmon y/n/n open up the door and tell me what's wrong. Whatever I did I can make up for it," His voice was so genuine and I feel bad that he thinks he did something wrong. "Dean. I don't think we should bother her." He turned around seeing me and Bobby, I think he noticed our faces and stepped away from the door. "What's going on?" He whispered next to me, while Bobby queitly knocked on her door, "You know that hunting partner she had?" he nodded, "That was her sister, and todays the anniversary of her death." His eyes widened but he didn't say anything, he just let his head fall and stared at the floor. Just then Cas appeared behind me, "What happened I could sense emotional distress," I again explained the situation.

She wasn't budging, she wouldn't open the door for Bobby, I know her well, she just wants to be alone. I walked up to Bobby and put my hand on his shoulder, "Hey, she probably just needs some time, we can come back later." He turned to me with tears now falling down his cheeks, "Listen Sam, that girl cannot be alone right now. You don't know the things she's tried to suppress the guilt of losing her little sister." I'm confuse but I didn't want to pry, I had a feeling he wanted to tell me something else but not around Dean and Cas. He hung his head low and whispered "She believes she should have been the one to die that day, she just," he paused and realization set in, she wanted to die too. "She can't be alone right now Sam." I nodded understanding, before I could say anything the door swung open. We were met but a mess of a girl, I could see how red her nose was from crying. He cheeks stained from the tears, "Can't you people just leave me alone?!" She shouted, we were all a little taken aback, well all of us except Bobby.

I have never seen her so angry, I'm just so used to her bubbly self. "Hon, you know I cant leave you alone," Bobby said softly. "Do not, I am fine." She snapped back, Bobby seemed unfazed, I mean he couldn't blame her. Bobby knew she wasn't angry at him, she was just angry at everything else. "Someone must stay with you." He said sternly, her face softened for a second. "Either one of us stays with you or all of us do," She looked to all of us, but not meeting anybody's eyes. Her beautiful e/c eyes lingered on me for a second. "Why can't everyone jus go away okay?!" Bobby stared daggers at her, and she turned to me. "Except you, you can stay." He eyes finally met mine and I could see the desperation in them. I nodded and Bobby looked to me and smiled slightly, I don't know what he meant by it but I think maybe it was gratitude. Dean and Cas simply walked down stairs. Bobby started towards them too before he was interrupted,
"I love you Bobby," Y/n said quietly, "I love you too hon."

I followed her into her room, closing the door behind me. She immediately broke down curling up on the floor. I rushed sitting next to her, I wrapped my arms around her tightly as she sobbed. "It should've been me," I could hardly hear what she was saying through the crying. "No, no we love you Y/n, we need you. This isn't your fault you hear me?" I reassured petting her hair, as i hugged her. I Pulled her up into my chest and she buried her face into it, "P-please Sammy don't go okay? Don't leave please, okay?" She pleaded through her shaky breaths, "I'm not going anywhere, don't you worry." She nodded still hiding her face in my chest, "Come on get up for a second. She did as I said, I held her hands as she got up and I lead her to the bed, I pulled the covers back.

"Go on get in," I said she looked at me worried, "I am staying it's gonna be okay." She nodded and climbed under the blanket, I climbed in next to her, she draped her arm over my waist, using my head as her pillow. My heart was thumping and she could definitely hear it, I think it was comforting her. "I'm sorry you have to see me like this," Her voice a whisper, but at least she wasn't crying anymore. She seemed a little embarrassed, I have never seen her so vulnerable. But she chose me to stay with her out of anybody, that's got to mean something right? "Don't you dare apologize, I am happy to lay her with you," She nudged closer, I didn't even realize that was possible. "Why'd you choose me? To stay with you?" I asked, she was almost asleep, and I started to run circles on her arm. "You're the one I trust Sam, I know you are the one I'm okay seeing me cry." She said with her voice all sleepy. My heart beat a little faster hearing that, I looked down to see if she had noticed but she was out cold. I Hugged her tighter protectively, there was no way anybody would ever get to her and I'd make sure of it.