Envy can be a Virtue - Sam

Not dating

Jealousy, angst, etc

Requested by Lauren725604 THANK YOU!!

Sam met Y/n when his then girlfriend Jessica died. He dropped out of school and decided to go back to hunting with Dean, when he found out his brother already had a new hunting partner, he couldn't wait to meet her. Dean never had a serious girlfriend before, hell Sam thought it was impossible to ever see his brother in a committed relationship. When he met Y/n he thought she was the most perfect girl he had ever laid eyes on, he was surprised that she was Dean's type.

She was quiet, loved research, less of a partier and more of a home body, all opposite characteristics of Dean. But opposites attract I guess. He always noticed the effort she'd put into her appearance every morning, he knew Dean didn't know it but she craved validation. She needed to be told how beautiful she looked or she wouldn't believe it herself. She put in the effort for Dean, waiting for a smile and a "My you look gorgeous this morning," followed by a kiss on the cheek. Too bad she never got it. Dean just wasn't that kind of man, he would rather focus his attention on whatever case the three of them were working on rather than his girlfriend.

So Sam took over that role, he would make sure she new how pretty she was that morning, he would buy birthday gifts for her and sign his brothers name, or he would remind his brother of their anniversary to make sure he never forgot. He devoted himself to her behind the scenes, and she never caught on. Sam new that if he didn't do these small things for her over the years then eventually she would fall out of love with his brother, and leave them both.

Sam would go through all the inconveniences he could just to keep her with them. Over the years of Dean and Y/n's relationship Sam and Y/n became great friends, best friends even. Sam liked to think that if she had never met his brother and gone to Stanford like she had originally planed before hunting got in the way. Maybe, he and Y/n might have been together. He would silently have these thoughts while watching from afar as his brother would kiss her.

Sam could never admit it to himself but he had fallen for her. All those nights they stayed up together researching hunts or watching movies while Dean was drinking at some bar grew into a separate relationship. A relationship that Sam valued almost as much as the one with his older brother.

"Hey Y/n/n what are you doing?" Sam heard his brother enter the motel room, Dean walked over to the table hugging Y/n from behind her chair and reading over her shoulder. "Wraith's huh?" He asked and she smiled nodding. Sam noticed the pink lipstick mark on Deans neck, and furrowed his brows. For a second the thought of Dean with another woman other than Y/n crossed his mind, but quickly he dismissed it. There was no way Dean would do that to the woman he was utterly in love with, right?

"What'd the coroner say?" Y/n asked Dean as he finally let go of her, "Not much, just pointed out these holes behind all the victims ears, and that they had extreme doses of dopamine in their brains or whatever." He said walking to the bathroom. 'Looks like your wraith theory hit the nail on the head," Sam smiled at Y/n. "Yeah looks like it," Dean recited closing the door. Y/n grinned, clearly feeling proud of herself.

When Dean stepped out of the bathroom Sam noticed the now lack of lipstick on his brothers neck. He grimaced thinking about it, still he denied any chance of Dean cheating on his best friend. "You okay?" Y/n asked him from across the table, "What yeah?" He put on a convincing smile, and she eyed him suspiciously. "Uh huh.."

"I think we find out where this son of a bitch is tomorrow, and go to a bar tonight!" Dean grinned at the two of them. Y/n sighed and rolled her eyes, "What?" he furrowed his brows. "You already know my answer Dean." She smiled softly at him resting her head in her hand. "Oh come on y/n/n you can fun once in a while," Dean groaned. "I just don't find that all that fun," she mumbled. There was a soft tension in the room and Sam looked at both of them uncomfortably.