6

Valaena and Aemond's visit to both cities had proved fruitfull. Aemond had hand delivered trade plans, conposed by the small council and signed off by Otto Hightower, which would be set in motion soon.

Valaena's nameday passed swiftly, and it became known to the courtiers that the girl was at last rejecting the Queen's opinions on how a lady should behave. A fortnight after her nameday, the Princess had loudly declared, at dinner, that she wished to take up swordlessons, or achery perhaps. The Queen has simply ignored her. Though a few days later, when King Viserys was feeling well enough to dine with his family, he suddenly brought the idea up. He mentioned that the Princess reminded him of Princess Alyssa, his late mother and ordered that perhaps  Helaena or the young Jahaera (when she would be atleast six) should join Valaena in archery as well.

"Viserys, please no." Declared the Queen as she glanced at her husband."It is hardly fit for Valaena to practice archery- let alone for Helaena or Jahaera..."

Helaena stared at her plate, the girl found hardly any interest in anything. So let alone archery. Valaena fought of  the urge to roll her eyes at Alicent. She had grown tired of posing ever ladylike and perfect of late. 

"Let the girls enjoy themselves!" Declared Viserys loudly as he shot his granddaughter a wink. "My granddaughter will be married soon, will she not."

Valaena paled at her Grandsire's voice. She had just turned four and ten. Aemond was to turn six and ten in well over nine moons. "I'm not of age yet Grandsire." Grimaced Valaena as she tried not to look at Aemond. Afraid that her cheeks might stain. Instead she held the King's gaze. "However, if you would allow me to practice archery I would be more than rejoiced and eternally gratefull. Court ought to be rather dull whenever you are not around to tell me about Old Valyria."

The King smiled widely at the request, offering his cup of wine high up in the air. "Ah, sweet Valaena, you remind me of your mother so much."

With a wave of his hand he dismissed his wife, who had opened her mouth to speak. Instead he turned his gaze towards his son, Aemond. "Aemond, take your niece to the courtyard tomorrow. The Knights will show her."

"Viserys, please! It is hardly-"

"Enough Alicent!" Bellowed the voice of Viserys as he nearly slammed his cup down. "The girl is to practice archery, that'll be the end of this conversation."

Come morning, Valaena had excitedly dressed herself to prepare for her archery lessons. She chose to wear a light blue cotton dress, simple, so that she could move. She pretended to be an archer using her brush in her dressingroom mirror. Bowing galantly as if she had won at a tourney

Though to her regret when she arrived. All she was allowed to do was observe. She begged Ser Criston to let her atleast hold the bow, but he wouldn't have her. He made her watch him and Aemond practice the entire week. By the end of the week, she had found out that it had been Alicent who had told Ser Criston to try and tire the girl out.

Aemond felt bad for his niece, and so he offered to show her after dawn. He was leaning against a wall, watching her sulk as Ser Criston walked off to attend his Queen.

"And defy the Queen?" Remarked Valaena with a grimace. Moving her hands up in the air.

"My mother doesn't have to know." Protested Aemond as he took a handfull of arrows from the stand. He moved his head to the side so he could see Ser Criston leave.