27

Valaena had seen oceans, cities, landscapes and wastes on Dragonback many times, but the breath was knocked from her body nontheless when she and Cregan reached the top of the wall. He walked her across a section of it, telling her tales of it's construction and with every step into the solid ice she took, Valaena swore she could feel the magic thrumming of the ancient wall. The view seemed to stretch out forever, covering a forest and then hills beyond it. Everything lay covered in a thick white blanket, and for a small moment Valaena wondered what it would he like to go beyond. She jested taking Sapphire and venturing farther North than anyone had been, amusement in her eyes as she saw something of panic flash in Cregan's eyes.

"Dragons don't go over the wall." Assured Valaena her husband as they watched the sun set before traveling back down towards Castle Black it's structure, thick walls and dark wood. She wondered if the castle would still stand hundred years from now. She imagined a Maester reading written accounts of her and Cregan's visit. What would be said about them? What would she be remembered as 150 years from now.

Valaena ate her dinner alone, as Cregan had another council to attend to and while he offered to let her join he did urge her to rest, they would return to Winterfell in the morning.

She asked to wander the library, but even as Lady of Winterfell, Cregan did not feel he should trust thousands of men, who had sworn off women while he left his wife alone in the heart of their keep.

Night fell by the time she had finished her supper, and with itching and tired eyes Valaena started writing to her family, alerting them that she was to return to Winterfell soon and that she would try to visit her family as soon as she was able to.

She wrote of the Wall to Jace and Luke, then gave her love to Joffrey, Aegon and Viserys.

She pushed away Daemons words of reminder her that she was to return home after granting Cregan an Heir. Frowning she imagined herself with child, her hearting beating louder in her chest with fear. She recalled Helaena being with child twice, and it hadn't been pleasant to her aunt at all. She shook her head, although it was treason she would have to find some way to prevent her womb for becoming with child. She wasn't ready yet. Her hands shook at the thought.

Valaena managed to undress herself, staring in the mirror as she fought with the lacing on her back, moons ago various maidservants tended to her every need, and now here she was, in a dark castle, void of women visiting the most Northern part of her family's Kingdom.

She let out an annoyed sigh as the dress' lacing got stuck on her back. She had opted to wear a dress that Alicent had gifted her, the fabric was thickee and warmer than all her other dresses combined, but it was bleak and boring. She cursed as it didn't fall from her shoulders.

"Seven hells." Whispered Valaena as she took a letter opener from her desk and started cutting the fabric off, with another curse she kicked it from her legs, before cutting through her corset aswell. She had to break the bones that constricted her waist by ripping them apart, and with a desperate sigh Valaena threw all of the fabric into the hearth.

Someone coughed behind her, and with wide eyes and the letter opener still in hand Valaena turned on her heel, only to be met by the warm hands of her fiance, as she stood with her half torn corset clinging to her chest.

"Cregan."

"I fear from my life after seeing you torure that dress to death."

"It wouldn't get off." Protested Valaena as she steadied herself, still Cregan held onto her. She liked the feel of his hands, he didn't wear gloves at this moment and his fingertips were slightly calloused against her bare arms.

"I can see that." Hummed Cregan as he lowered his head to meet her eyes.

Valaena sucked in a breath as his fingers made quick work of the fabric, with a grin, she held out her hands to pull on his cloak, letting it fall to the floor besides her mangled clothing, and with a hum she worked on loosening his breaches. Grinning as he groaned in her ear.