18

Jacaerys had come to see his sister, worry etched onto his features. Willem Blackwood had fetched him and in both anger and confusion Jacaerys had demanded to know why his sister was left alone on her wedding night. He had stormed out of the banquet hall.

"Valaena!" Called Jacaerys out as he burst through the doors of Winterfell's councilroom.

Valaena rushed to her brother, grabbing him by the arms as his worried face seemed more angry than concered. "Your husband dares to leave you unattended? On your wedding night!"

"Jacaerys calm down, I beg of you." Valaena shared a look with Lord Willem Blackwood. The man bowed down his head to her. Muttering something under his breath.

"There's trouble north from here, He'll return- shortly. I assume." Valaena let go of her brothers arms. Who seemed far from content. "I'll write home, I will stay with you untill your husband returns." Bade Jacaerys as he shook his head.

"Lord Stark intends to return as soon as he is able to." Protested Lord Blackwood. "Let us not-"

"My sisters honor-" started Jacaerys. "Will be put to question, she has married Cregan Stark, only for him to run off- before he-"

Jacaerys looked away for a moment lowering his voice. "They've not spent the night together."

"He has not run off, Jace, do not be worried, he is tending to matters more dire than the-"

"You are a Princess! Val-"

"Jace!" Valaena blushed in embarrassment, sharing a look with Lord Blackwood, as if to ask him to aid her.

"I'll see to it your sister is safe, the Princess is our Lady of Winterfell by law. " Promised Willem Blackwood. "If he-" stared Jacaerys of as he slightly bent down. "If he dares refuse you- I'll-"

"Jace." Pleaded Valaena softly, annoyed at her brother's words. Surely Daemon would take care of whatever he meant, not Jacaerys. He was not yet of age.

"I'm going to my chambers, to sleep, as should you. Have breakfast with me in the morning. Perhaps there will be word from Cregan." Tried Valaena as she placed a hand upon her brother's shoulder to reassure him. "Come." Bade the Princess her brother.

By morning, word hadn't come, Valaena had spent the night in her guest chambers, despite being Lady of Winterfell, and it did irk her, would this marriage uphold? Would people question it? She was a foreigner, Northernmen rarely ever married foreigners, and for her to remain in a guest chamber, and then have the consummation of her marriage questioned. It would do her no good.

Jacaerys remained agitated during breakfast, insisting that he'd stay untill she would receive word from Cregan. But Valaena begged him not to, as she didn't want any more suspicions to take place.

By noon, Jacaerys insisted to stay untill next morning, stating that he would leave at dawn, so that he could rest halfway home. He wished to wait on word from Cregan.

Valaena spend the day in the library, alongside her complaining brother. An hour after noon she had convinced him to go home. She wanted so desperately for her twin to stay with her, but his restlessness made her even more nervous, and she feared it would look bad on her to have him stay with her. Already she read Targaryens in the maidservant's their eyes. Both for the night and at dawn she had been dressed in silence. The Maid servants didn't dare ask her questions, nor did they seem to want to. She loathed the North already. Hoping that at least Cregan would return soon.

When Jacaerys left, she stood with only Willem Blackwood and Cregan's direwolf by her side, she swallowed her tears. Her knees shaking as she watched her brother take off on Vermax. She wanted to run after him, mount Sapphire and perhaps leave untill she reached Essos. She wouldn't mind living out her days there, but she feared her mother might never speak to her again where she to betray her good faith in Valaena.