19

Frost had led Valaena back into Winterfell. She ignored the strange looks she got, since no one had seen her leave, averting her face from the guards, she had hoped they wouldn't notice her tear stricken face. The sun had disappeared already when Valaena reached her chambers. She glanced at Frost, sinking to her knees as she extended a hand. The Wolf sniffed her hand, before pushing it's nose into her sides. Carefully she wrapped her arms around the Direwolf. Sighting into it's fur. She had expected him to smell like dog, but strangely enough he smelled rather nice. Like fresh rain and pine. She exhaled. Closing her eyes as she stroked his fur.

"I do not wish to betray Cregan." Whispered Valaena. "I just needed to say goodbye."

Valaena swallowed, she didn't know Cregan, yet she was bound to him, by law, even though their marriage had not yet been consummated. She was going to try and make a life for herself here. She needed to despite not knowing Cregan. They had talked, and he had told her many things, he had ordered Elderflower wine for their wedding, wildflower bouquets and forget-me-not's spread along their wedding path. He had tried.

Valaena knew she had to try aswell. His Direwolf, with whatever strange connection or understanding it had. Had protected her, from Aemond. Had she needed protection? She didn't want to linger on it.

Valaena looked at Frost. "Do you want to sleep here? With me?"

The wolf looked at her, it's icy blue eyws blinking, as if he understood. The Direwolf settled onto the carpet near her hearth. Grunting as it lay down and continued staring at her. He'd stay.

By morning, Valaena let the wolf out. The servants had stared at her oddly when they noticed the wolf. After they helped her dress in silence. She went downstairs to have breakfast with Lord Blackwood.

He frowned at her. "Goodmorning Princess, did you enjoy your walk last night?" Willem appeared amused as he brought his fork to his mouth.

She chose to smile back. "I did."

"Do you wish for me to take ypu put riding today?"

Valaena shook her shoulders slightly as she sat down. Thinking about Aemond, would he still be in these woods. "Are you an archer?"

"Certainly."

"Let us practice in the yard then?"

Willem Blackwood nodded at her. Smiling carefully. She wondered why he didn't mind entertaining her. He had his own house and seat to take care of. She wondered who tended to his land while he was away.

Over the course of the next three days, Valaena still received no word from Cregan. Though at dawn, well over a week since Cregan had left, horns filled the yard of Winterfell. Causing her to burst out of her rooms. Willem Blackwood and Frost on her heel. The former telling her to stay back.

A younger son of Lord Glover, along with a handfull of the Stark's own bannermen filled the yard.  Carrying a figure on a stretcher. Bloodied and bandaged, she gasped. The figure wore a Dirwolf sigil, but he was too small to be Cregan. No it was his younger brother Benjen, who liked to partake in tourneys and was near her own age.

Valaena shot forward, Maester Keltan had already ordered the young Lord to be taken upstairs. Frost followded him, as did she.

Maester Keltan had been glad with Valaena's help. As a Princess she had been instructed and taught by the Grand Maester on more than the basic principles of healing. She helped Maester Keltan bandage Benjen's wounds and held his hand when the Maester stitched up his shoulder. She watched as one of the maidservants prayed by his bedside. It was the older woman who had glared at Valaena again and again.