10. Stairwell

"𝐈 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞

𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨, 𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐲, 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐰?"

It didn't take long before you were invited to yet another group hangout, but this time Amybeth was the one to send you the text. This didn't immediately strike you as odd, since you were just glad to be invited in the first place, but when you saw how last minute it all was, you figured Emily probably didn't want you there, and therefore didn't invite you.

Even though you knew you had only yourself to blame, a part of you felt angry with your best friend for being so sensitive about it all, until you remembered the way you rudely hung up on her the other day, and the way you had been dodging questions and texts from her for a few weeks now.

Once again, you went for something casual, as the text didn't imply that you guys were going to do anything other than eat food and talk. You wore the clothes you felt good in, and you looked at yourself in the mirror, having to reassure yourself that everything was going to be fine.

Things between you and Bella had been great. The constant messages made your day, as your mind wandered back to the kiss, the wine, the music, and everything else about that day. It had just been perfect, something you weren't aware was achievable up until this point in your life.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Driving to Amybeth's place felt quite lonely, as you were only met with silence while passing traffic light after traffic light. Not having your best friend on your side during this short and almost unimportant part of your day, somehow hurt more than you would ever expect it to. You were going to tell her, you simply had to.

To possibly get your heart broken was one thing, but losing the one person in the world you could always count on just wasn't an option. The music you forcefully turned on in the hopes of distracting you couldn't even take your mind off of things, which once again proved to you just how badly you needed to explain everything to Emily.

The amount of unfamiliar cars that were already parked in front of the apartment complex gave you an odd feeling. Emily's car was nowhere to be found, meaning she most likely carpooled with someone else. A long sigh left your mouth as you stepped into the building, the hot air immediately causing you to take off the unnecessary scarf you were wearing.

You were almost able to feel your legs tremble as you knocked on the door, taking a step back merely seconds later. The door was almost immediately opened by a familiar, smiling girl, the second her gaze met yours, you could see the smile grow into something more forced. "Hey, you made it." The dark-haired girl tilted her head at you, and you could tell by the look in her eyes that the soft spot she had for you was still there.