11. Message

"𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮"

The second you closed the door behind you, the nerves began rushing through your entire body. There she was, sitting on the staircase, tears in her eyes as you looked up at you, a sense of betrayal in her gaze. "Emily-" You empathetically tilted your head as you felt a lump in your throught beginning to grow, making it hard for you to get anything out at all.

"Save it." The dark-haired girl let out a sigh of defeat, having learnt to accept what she witnessed just a minute ago. "I'm so sorry. Bella and I just- it all just happened so fast. We didn't want you to get even more stressed than you already were. We just didn't want to burden you." The sting in your eyes almost caused you to give in to the tears as your eyes began to grow glassy.

"Well, you're a burden now, aren't you?" The brunette shook her head in denial, the very first tear falling from her eyes, which she wiped as soon as it fell. An uncomfortable silence built up between the two of you as it felt like someone was punching you in the gut with a baseball bat.

Even though you knew it was coming, that comment alone was enough to send you into a mental breakdown. But you remained strong as your eyes never left hers, almost too scared to look away. "I'm not even mad about you and Bella. If anything, I'm happy for you two." Emily spoke up after a few more seconds of pure silence, her voice starting to tremble.

"You are?" A frown made its way onto your face as the confusion span through your mind. It took you by surprise as your entire demeanor changed. "Well, yes. I'm just mad you didn't tell me. I'm your best fucking friend, and you kept this from me for how long?" The brunette asked, and you were once again on the verge of being afraid to tell her the answer.

The odd feeling in your gut returned as you bit the inside of your cheek. "Remember the night I let you do my eyeliner? And the way I fled the party out of nowhere?" You let out a soft sigh as you asked her this, the guilt building up even more than it already had.

The dark-haired girl simply nodded at this, and you presumed this was because she knew how unstable her voice would sound if she decided to say something. "We kissed that night." The feeling in your gut grew warm and fuzzy as you thought back to that night, and how much courage you had had.

Emily's expression turned into something unreadable, but it almost seemed as if her eyes were lighting up at that comment. "You did?" She asked you, clearly having a bit of trouble believing the fact that two of her friends had been seeing each other, if you could even say that. Nothing had been made exclusive yet, so you had no idea as to what the two of you were at this point.

"It was all so-" You attempted, but failed to find a choice of words while you softly nodded at your best friend, confirming the fact you had just stated. "I don't even know what took over me, to be honest. It just felt right, I guess?" The expression on Emily's face had now grown into a grin, which caused you to let out a chuckle.