52.

Holding my head down to avoid the whispers and stares of the tribal people, deep within myself I felt like I didn't deserve to be here.

The need to shut myself into Aureliano's hut from them was so tempting at first.

But I thought it wasn't fair that both Achille and Ria was here and I didn't went to checked up on them, therefore with a bit of self encouragement, I left the hut with Imali hanging right around my neck in comfort.

Nibbling on my bottom lip as I walked through the tribe. I felt bad, I was self aware of the wrong that I had done, it shamed me of the death that I caused. The dangers that I had inflicted on their lands.

Knowing that they haven't nor believed in corruption.

Something they didn't deserve.

"Miss Concenta..." I paused and turn my head to the side as the elderly woman that I helped at the clinic who had diabetes along with three other women came up to me with sadness in their eyes.

"I know you blame yourself for the death that happened, please don't feel bad darling." The elderly woman said as she gripped my hands softly.

"Some of the warriors explained to us that you had the chance to kill them but you didn't which shows that your intention was not to harm us. We all understand your situation, just know that whatever it is that you need, we are here by your side."

Another woman with dark brown hair, smiled at me softly and as they hugged me, I widened my eyes as all of the people in the square came over to us and sang a soothing song.

It spoke about love, neighborly love.

Their oneness spoke volumes to me, it thickens in the air and I couldn't helped but shed tears. The reality of what I went through hit me hard after I woke up, I was grateful that God saved me from drowning, I was this close in giving in.

This close in loosing faith yet I couldn't do it, I couldn't left Aureliano behind.

I was fearful to wake up because I thought he would have given up on our love but he didn't.

I thought bringing him back to Italy would give me peace but I was entirely wrong, my peace was within his arms, within the beauty of his eyes.

After receiving a long line of hugs and tight pinches to my cheeks, I left the square feeling better, my chin lifting high as I went towards Mato's hut where Achille was at.

Knocking on the door, I waited as the door opened and when I saw my boss, I smiled as he took me into an instant hug. He patted my head then chuckled.

"Why did I think, you'd grow a little bit taller?"

I huffed then followed behind him into the room.

"I'm five foot six, I'm not that short." Imali hissed at him and I chuckled underneath my breath from his terrified expression.

You'd think for a respectful, dangerous Don who kills over a million people, that the feeling of fear would be something he could control, yet the sight of Imali says something completely different.

"Is that Concenta's voice?" Mato weakly said and I hasten my steps towards him. Setting Imali down, I looked over Mato sadly to see that he now looked weaker than the last time that I saw him.

"Mato..." I kissed him on his forehead and felt his body shook and I paused as I noticed that he was crying.

"Why are you crying, you missed me that much?"

He chuckled as he tried to lift his hands to touch my face but he couldn't and it pained my heart so much.

"I'm just happy that you made it out alive."

"Sometimes I wonder what power you have, Concenta, over us as the Aveni's men, he can't stop talking about you."

I remembered what Aureliano told me a few days ago when he told me that Mato was his grandfather, it was a shocking revelation but then again, Mato have grown Aureliano into a sweet and humble person, his kindness even extends towards the very damn ant that crawls on the ground.

He was so down to earth and I only wished for him to get better.

Hanging out with them for most of the day, I played with Hunter and spoke with Achille who wanted to extend his stay and take care of his father before he went back to Italy, something that he asked of me to do as it regards to my profession as an assassin to the Aveni's family....

I didn't want to leave. A life of an assassin was not what I wanted, it was  a life that I used to bring revenge for the death of my mother but now that I founded out what the true meaning of peace was, I wanted to stay with it.

I wanted to grow my kids with it, my love with it and die here with it.

Mato pleaded with me to kick start training with the women who were interested in becoming a warrior, I promised him that I would do it, knowing that deep down I was going to give it my all.

Over the course of the hours, I made sure that I fed him with the food that the tribal women brought for him to take with his medication.

Something he didn't want to take because he hated taking medicine.

Men.

With my heart eased from the long conversation and jokes that I have gotten from both men, I left the hut after kissing both of them on their cheeks, Imali hanging around my neck as I went towards the clinic.

I needed to see my best friend.

It has been so long since I've seen her and I quickly waved at some of the children who were playing football in the square then went towards the porch of the clinic.

Knocking my fingers on the door, I  push my head through the door and squealed as I saw Ria.

Issi's eyes widen when she saw me and I sent her a sympathetic smile, Halisa's death allowing me to feel unworthy.

"Omg I'm so happy that you're awake." Issi walked over to me with her hands spread open in a hug.

"I'm so sorry." I cried in her neck as I hugged her back.

"So where is my hug!"

Ria scoffed as we pulled away and I chuckled at the weird ass facial expression she'd always do.