23 Protect you

Kate POV

Stinking mad, I threw the door of the car shut behind me and then marched up the steps to my front door without even bothering to think about my luggage. Or the person I was mad at.

We more or less bickered the whole way to the airport, during the flight and on the way to my house.

But of course, I wasn't so lucky to work out my anger on my own for a moment because he followed on my heels. He didn't even seem to mind that I slammed the door in his face.

"Can we maybe talk about this again calmly?" Roman asked as he closed the door behind him and I went into the bathroom.

"Oh I think you've more than made your point," I growled as I turned on the shower and started to take off my clothes.

"Oh come on, Kate! All I want is to protect you. And you know that." he replied as he followed me.

"That doesn't give you the right to make decisions for me. We could have talked about it alone. But no! You couldn't even wait for Hunter to make me an offer. You completely ignored me and what I wanted. 'Over my dead body.... That's far too dangerous for you... You'll hurt yourself.' Instead of listening to what I want, you're making decisions for me? Fuck you, Roman." I said out loud, imitating his voice as I stepped into the shower.

"I'm sorry I went over your head... I really am, but I know how hard it is and I don't want you to get hurt... or feel even an ounce of pain. I'm sorry that I love you so much that I don't want you to suffer. I think Hunter should have talked to me first," he replied as he joined me under the water.

It was hard not to be distracted by his body, but I managed to keep my eyes focused on his face. Not that that made things any easier.

"I'm not a little kid, Roman. I can make my own decisions. Do you have any idea what a great opportunity this is for me? Or do you just not care? You're acting like I'm a total beginner. But you should know that I can handle it. After all, I have experience in martial arts. It could be my shot." I grumbled as I soaped myself up.

"Of course I know what you can do. But it's different from wrestling playfully. And two months is definitely not enough preparation time. I just have the feeling that you only want to do this because you think you'll fail with your channel," he said.

"Oh yeah? Well... I think you're more afraid that it might reflect on you if I don't do a good job. Or maybe you're jealous because I could get a little more attention. You don't trust me," I hissed. 

"Don't talk bullshit, Kate. That's not true and you know it. I know you can do it. This is all about your safety. This business is tough and I'm not just talking about what happens in the ring," he growled.

I decided to stop responding and stepped out of the shower. But after wrapping myself in a towel, I reached behind the shower curtain again and turned the water to cold in one quick motion.

"Ahhh, what the hell? You little monster!" he screeched and I couldn't help but laugh.

It served him and his big macho ego right.

"Payback's a bitch, babe." I laughed as I made my way to the bedroom.

Once there, I grabbed a bottle of lotion and started rubbing it into my skin. However, I didn't stay alone for long. After just a few seconds, long arms wrapped around me from behind.

Roman rested his chin on my shoulder and sighed deeply.

"If you think this argument is over, you're wrong, Katie." he murmured in my ear before quickly turning me around to face him.

He untied the towel that was still covering me and let it slide to the floor. His hand went to the side of my neck before leaning towards me. His lips were immediately placed forcefully on mine. But at that moment, anger boiled up inside me again. And so I grasped his dripping wet hair to pull him even closer to me.

I grabbed hold of him before I started to nibble on his lips and tongue. Roman simply lifted me off my feet only to basically throw me onto the bed.

Breathless, I looked up at him, but the very next moment his mouth was back on mine. His hands were everywhere, leaving a hot trail on my skin as my nails dug into his back.

Roman penetrated me without warning. With one long thrust, he filled me completely. I moaned deeply as I clung to him.

We were both angry, but at that moment it felt good to let everything out. I knew he only had my safety in mind, even if he had gone about it all wrong.

Our moans and panting echoed off the walls. His thrusts were hard and merciless. That's why it didn't take long for him to pull me over the edge.

At some point it started to rain. I lay with my head on his chest and drew little patterns on his skin while listening to his heartbeat and the sound of the rain.

"What is the real reason why you don't want me to do it?" I asked quietly.

"Because I'm afraid of losing what we have. And I really don't want anything to happen to you." he replied muffled.

"Why would we lose it?" I wanted to know, because it didn't make much sense to me.

"Well... Listen, Katie... My world is hard and exhausting... and I enjoy it so much when I can just disconnect whenever I'm with you. You're my escape, distraction from this world and I guess... I guess I don't want it to swallow you up. Because I know how tough and cruel it can be. Or rather how cruel it always is. And I don't want to lose us over it.

I don't want it to change you. And believe me... it changes people. And almost never in a positive way. Besides... What do you think I would do if you were seriously hurt? Yeah, exactly... I would blame myself for.... for not protecting you." he admitted.

"First of all... I'll never let it change me, because I know firsthand what it's like to deal with hate. And second, we're only talking about one or two matches, if that. You will not lose me.

And if it makes you feel better... if I hurt myself, you can always tell me 'I told you so'." I replied.

"Is it really something you want to try? Do you really want to or just because you're afraid of what will happen if you don't?" he wanted to know.

I thought about that for a while. What was really going on?

"I think... well... I think it's a once in a lifetime chance for me to break out and try something new. I think it would open up a whole new path for me and my career," I said.

Roman sighed deeply. I knew where he was coming from. And I also knew that it was his protective instinct that made him overreact.

"Okay... yeah, I guess you're right. And I promise to support you as much as I can. Even if I don't like it." he replied and I knew how he grimaced.

At the end of the day, I understood him. Even though I still thought that this argument could have been avoided if he had talked to me straight away instead of making decisions for me.