41 Behind the stage

Kate POV

I couldn't stop smiling as I made my way back behind the stage. The roar of the audience rang in my ears as did the rush of adrenaline. Tomorrow I would probably be sore all over, but right now I wasn't feeling a bit of it.

Panting, I pushed the curtain aside. But before I could take another step, I was already in the arms of my, without a doubt, very proud husband. Roman hugged me tightly as I laid my head against his chest. A sigh of relief escaped me. Suddenly all the tension of the last few weeks fell away from me.

"You did so amazing, baby girl. I can't tell you how incredibly proud I am." he whispered in my ear.

"Thank you, Ro. Hearing that from you means the most to me. Thank you for supporting me, even though I know you didn't particularly like it." I said quietly with a little laugh.

Yes, he didn't want me to get hurt. I was so important to him that the fear of something happening to me was so strong. But he pushed his worries aside to support me. I couldn't help but feel blessed. Without him, I would never have been able to come out of my shell and overcome my... well, my trauma, and go down new, exciting paths.

"I love you, Katie, and I can't wait to finally marry you again." he replied softly and then gave me a long kiss on the forehead.

"I love you too. More and more every single day." I said as I lifted my head so I could look into his beautiful, warm eyes.

"Kate, congratulations. What a debut! I speak for everyone here when I tell you that we are lucky to have you as part of this family. And I wanted to ask you what you think about signing a long-term contract," Hunter said as he came over to us.

"Thank you, Hunter! Really, thank you for the opportunity. I appreciate it more than you know. But right now I want to focus on my family. I have a 6-month-old boy at home who needs me. My men are all that matters right now. But who knows... maybe there will be an opportunity or two to do something in the future. And if not, that's okay too," I replied as Roman stroked my back.

Hunter nodded in understanding and went back to his table with the monitors. After all, the show had to go on.

At that moment, Becky came through the curtain. I expected her to glare at me again. But instead she looked defeated. She was holding her ribs as she came towards me. What now, I thought to myself. To my surprise, however, she only held out her hand to me. I hesitantly gave her my hand. We shook hands while she gave me an almost sad smile.

"Good job, girl." she said quietly and then walked away.

*****

"Are you sure you don't want to go to the hotel already?" Roman asked me as we walked hand in hand back to his locker room.

"Absolutely. I don't want to miss your match. Afterwards, when you're done with everything, we'll drive there together. We'll get a few hours of sleep before we leave for the airport in the morning. I miss Destin so much. It's been a long day away from my little man." I replied as I clung to his arm with my free arm.

I rested my head against his shoulder and sighed before letting out a huge yawn.

"Trust me, I miss him too. I think we should take him on our honeymoon. I don't know if I'm capable of not having him with us for a whole week," Ro said, holding the door open for me.

"I know what you mean... Tell me... Can I get a hint? You know roughly where it's going..." I wanted to know.

"Oh Mrs. Reigns, are you trying to spoil my surprise?" he asked, smirking at me.

"Well of course not. I don't want any details... just a tiny hint." I said.

"Hmmm... You can know it's an island..." he replied as he pulled me onto the couch with him.

"That doesn't exactly narrow things down, but it's a start." I laughed even though I was totally exhausted.

"I know... oh, and it's in Europe. That's all you need to know." Ro replied before giving me a kiss on the nose.

I was about to pull him close when there was a knock on the door.

"Roman, 10 minutes." said a deep voice.

"Looks like we'll have to postpone the conversation. Go and take a shower, baby. Then you can admire your hot husband kicking ass." Ro said before giving me a long, passionate kiss.

"Nothing I'd rather do... although there is something I want to do as soon as we get back to the hotel..." I replied, running my index finger over his chest.

"Oh, I think that can be done. After all, you deserve a reward for your big win." he said, his voice low and raspy.

"That will be true for you too, husband." I smirked.