24 Rookie

Kate POV

Even though it was something I wanted, my nerves were now fluttering. The butterflies in my stomach could hardly be bigger. But I was grateful that Roman and I were back on good terms after our heated argument. Now he supported me without uttering another word of contradiction.

But I knew that was difficult for him. Every time I had a new bruise or a move didn't go particularly smoothly, I could see how much he was suffering. Probably even more than me. I often saw him rubbing his face and not wanting to look at me when I grimaced in pain.

Maybe he was right that there wasn't enough time to prepare. That it wasn't a good idea to throw myself into deep end, but now I was all the more determined. I wanted to prove to myself that I was good enough.

Luckily for me, I had a lot of help. Not only Roman trained with me, but also Jimmy, Jey and Naomi. They were the only ones who knew about the plans so far. Oh yes, and then of course there were the other coaches that gave advice.

Today the storyline was started. With a simple bump into each other behind the scenes.

I was walking down the hall towards the camera when suddenly, out of nowhere, Becky Lynch came around the corner and we ran into each other.

"Sorry..." I mumbled and was told to just keep walking.

"Watch where you're going if you're wasting space here," she replied.

She was angry because she had just come back from losing a match. I knew it was all artificial... but somehow I had the feeling that she wasn't acting so much. The look she gave me was so icy that it sent shivers down my spine.

"And you better watch what you say. It's not my fault you're too stupid to pay attention," I said and kept walking.

The camera came closer as she almost jumped in my face.

"What was that? Careful, otherwise it could end badly for you. I'm so sick of you wannabes coming in and out of here as you please. Everyone here dedicates their lives to this business and we don't need you YouTubers. Go and play with your make-up," she hissed.

I quickly pushed her back with both hands. Becky swayed before she caught herself again. Apparently the push was stronger than she had expected, because she glared at me.

"If anyone should be careful, it's you... Don't underestimate me. It won't take much for me to put you on your ass." I said quietly but threateningly.

"Cut! Very good, Kate. That's it for today. Good job, Becky. You're done for the day." said Jamie, the producer behind the camera.

"Thank God for that. You better watch out. I'm not in the mood to carry another rookie." she growled at me before leaving.

"Hey baby girl. Well done. Don't let her intimidate you." Roman said as he joined us.

He took my face between his big hands and gave me a kiss on the forehead. I immediately relaxed when I was able to place my hands at his sides.

"My heart was beating so fast. Are you sure it was okay? I have a feeling she's not happy." I replied.

"Ignore her... She's here to do her job. It's just that her ego has gotten a little too big in the last few years. Sometimes she thinks she's better than everyone else. But you can handle it. I'm sure you can," Ro said, stroking my face.

But I saw the spark of worry flicker across his face again as I looked up at him. Maybe my hunch wasn't so wrong after all and I really needed to be careful where Becky was concerned.

I still had a lot to learn and homework to do. And maybe I should also prepare myself well for things getting ugly. If she wasn't going to stick to the script, I had to be prepared for that. I had to be ready to throw things at her that might go too far. Because one thing was certain for me.... Just because I was a rookie in her eyes, I wasn't going to let her walk all over me.