35 Fate

Roman POV

The hours passed as we waited in the hospital for the birth to progress. Katie and I kept walking down the corridor in the hope that it would help. And it did. Or at least Kate kept saying that it was good to move. However, seeing my wife in pain didn't help me one bit. It was going slowly and our boy seemed to be taking his sweet time.

"Babe? Can you hold me? I'm a bit cold..." Kate said exhaustedly when we finally got back to the room and I helped her onto the bed.

She was already really tired and that was probably why she was cold. The doctors said she should try to sleep between contractions. But she just couldn't do it. Understandably so.

"Of course. Should I rub your back too?" I asked as I lay down next to her.

I slipped an arm under her head and stroked hers with my free hand.

"No... Just hold me. Your warmth feels good." she breathed as she leaned against me.

I heard her sigh softly and relax a little. I carefully pressed a kiss to her hair as I placed my hand on her bump. With my thumb, I stroked our son through his mother's skin. I wondered what he would look like. Sure, we had asked ourselves this question countless times over the past few months, but now we were so close to getting the answer.

"Oh... here comes another one..." gasped Kate not five minutes later.

"Here... squeeze my hand, baby girl. I'm here." I said and she immediately did just that.

Kate tried to breathe in and out deeply so they could both get as much oxygen as possible. Inwardly, I counted the seconds until it was done. It took over a minute for it to be over. Each time they got longer as the intervals got shorter. It was almost time.

Another hour passed before the doctor examined Kate again. This time he said that her cervix was finally fully dilated. And that meant it was now the home stretch.

"I'm so excited." Kate whispered as the nurses prepared everything for the delivery.

"Oh, me too. I wish I could do it for you, baby." I replied and gave her a kiss.

"Believe me, I wish that too." she laughed a little.

"Okay, Mrs. Reigns.... We're ready. When the next contraction comes, I want you to start pushing. Until I stop counting. We'll see how it goes or if we need to adjust the way you push so you can have your baby in your arms as soon as possible. Any questions?" said the doctor when everything was ready.

"No.. I just want to be done with it," Kate replied.

And oh boy! If I thought the labor phase was hard to bear.... God, this was nothing compared to it. Childbirth was like my wife was ripping herself in half with her own strength.

I supported her as best I could. Even though I doubted it would help her at all. Every moment I waited for her to tell me to shut up. But that didn't happen.

"Excellent, Mrs. Reigns... We have the head... One more good push." said the doctor after a while of pushing.

"Almost there, baby girl..." I said and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

"Get your money ready, babe... I'm telling you he looks like you..." she gasped and then began to push harder.

And then she had indeed done it. We were parents to what was without question the most perfect little boy ever. The baby cried loudly as he was placed on Kate's chest. Tears welled up in my eyes and I saw my wife start to cry too.

"Good job, mama! I love you." I whispered to her and then gave her a real kiss when she looked up at me.

"Hi little one..." I then said to our son.

"He's so perfect... Look what fate has done for us..." Kate breathed as she soaked up every detail of the little one.

"Then his name is just as perfect as he is." I replied, gently stroking his cheek with my index finger.

"That's right... Thank you for letting us be your parents my little Destin Rafael Reigns... Mommy and Daddy love you... And wait until you meet your whole crazy family." Kate said to him before giving him a kiss on the head.