42 Not a dream

Kate POV

"Oh my god, look at you, peanut! Looks like lunch tasted good, huh? Okay, mister... Let's get you cleaned up. Daddy should be back from the airport soon. I bet your grandma and grandpa can't wait to see you. You've grown so much since the last time they saw you." I babbled to Destin as I put his plates in the sink and then wiped his little smudgy hands and face.

He complained a little, but there was no way around it. As always, I tried to be quick. Then I lifted him out of his high chair so I could cuddle with my son alone for a few more minutes. I was sure that mom and dad would have all his attention. And neither of them would want to share him while they were here.

"Do you know what day tomorrow is, Destin? Tomorrow Mommy and Daddy are getting married again. Isn't that exciting? Mommy is pretty excited. I hope everything goes smoothly. Thank goodness we had a lot of help and Grandma Pat had a lot of fun. Just like Aunt Na. Too bad Aunt Jamie lives so far away. I would love to spend more time with her. Just like you do. I know you love it when we video chat with her." I said as I carried him into his room to put a fresh diaper on him.

"All right, handsome boy. All set. Are you giving Mommy kisses? You definitely have Daddy's charms." I laughed and giggled as Destin suddenly covered my face with little kisses.

I returned his kisses to make him laugh. It was the most beautiful sound in the world to hear our baby laugh.

A few minutes later we heard the door open and Roman calling for us.

"Hey family, we're here!" he called through the house.

"Do you hear that Destin? That's your daddy. Let's go see where he is. And you, be nice to your grandparents, will you? No biting or drooling if you can help it." I said as I took the baby back into my arms.

I gave him a kiss on the forehead. Destin was kicking like crazy because he had heard Ro's voice. He was crazy about his daddy. And I was crazy about seeing the two of them together. They were so much alike. You could have easily mistaken them in baby photos.

"Hi guys!" I said.

"Oh hi, my baby! And my baby's baby! Come to Grandma, my little darling," Mom said, gave me a quick hug and then, as expected, took the little man from my arms.

"Hi, Katie. How are you, sweetheart?" Dad said as he hugged me tightly.

"I'm doing well. Very excited about tomorrow. You better not let me fall when you walk me down the aisle." I joked.

"I've been training for this your whole life, darling. I think I can do it. But now... Come to grandpa! Let me look at you! You've grown so much. Maybe I should buy you your first pair of boxing gloves for your birthday." Dad replied until Destin caught his attention.

"Oh no! That can wait." I said.

"Like I would listen to your mommy." Dad whispered to the baby.

"Relax, baby girl. You can always hide them." Roman said and winked at me as he pulled me into his arms.

*****

While Roman was in the shower, I stood in the closet. I had pulled down the zipper on the garment bag containing my wedding dress to admire it.

My fingers slowly glided over the soft material. Over the lace and the small, shimmering beads.

"Katie? What are you doing, baby girl?" I suddenly heard my husband's voice.

I quickly closed the garment bag so that he couldn't see the contents. After all, I didn't want to spoil his surprise. He had to be patient for a few more hours.

"Oh, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a dream," I replied as his long arms wrapped around my waist from behind.

Roman rested his chin on my shoulder and then pressed a gentle kiss to my temple. I placed my hands on his arms as I leaned against him. A small sigh of happiness escaped me.

"It's not... But I promise you everything tomorrow will be as you dreamed it would be. Only better and real." he said quietly.

"I'm sure it will. But in the end, all that matters is that you and Destin are with me." I replied and then turned in his arms so that I could look at him.

I let my hands slide over his chest until I could cup his face in my hands.

"Have I told you today that I love you?" I wanted to know.

"Yes, but... You're welcome to tell me a few more times because I love to hear it." he chuckled.

"I love you." I said.

"And I love you, Katie. What do you say...Shall we have a sneak peek at the wedding night?" asked Ro.

"I thought you'd never ask." I replied and untied the towel that was wrapped around his hips.

Ro simply lifted me up and threw me onto his shoulder. I squealed and slapped him on the butt as he carried me chuckling into the bedroom and to our bed.