Chapter 15

"Harry, why didn't I tell you about my parents?" Hermione asked from her position on his chest. They were nestled in her bed after they had finished working on some essays.

Harry sighed and felt the guilt seep in again. He could feel the tell tale curve of her pinky around his, a habit she had developed since her time in the hospital wing. The fingers of his other hand combed through the ends of her curly hair. This had also become a habit since her memory loss a week ago. He hadn't seen his bed, except when he would go up to change before classes. Hermione was plagued with nightmares that she never remembered upon waking but always resulted in tears streaming down her face.

"Honestly, Hermione. We were so focused on the horcruxes and making plans I think you wanted to make sure I wasn't distracted," He sat up and pulled her up with him so he could look in her eyes. "I'm sorry I made you feel like you couldn't tell me. I tried all summer to be by your side and show you how I feel, but I messed up. I was thinking about the big picture and didn't see how much danger you and your family were in. I should have protected them."

Frustrated tears welled up in his eyes as he imagined what could have happened to the Grangers who had always greeted him so nicely at the train station every year. He felt his friend thumb away his tears. "I forgive you, Harry. Even if I remember everything later. I forgive you."

Her eyes were glassy as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth. Harry fisted his hand into her curls as his eyes flicked from her eyes to her lips. "Hermione, I promise. From now on, you can tell me anything. You can rage at me, nag me, boss me around forever. So don't ever leave me."

"Never," Hermione let out with a breath before she leaned forward and pressed a firm kiss to his lips. He pulled her close as he deepened the kiss, running his tongue along the seam of her lips. When she gasped at the touch of their tongues he answered her with a moan. Harry relished the feel of her hand in his hair, tugging lightly while her free hand gripped his shirt. Another gasp from the beautiful girl and he became painfully aware of the bulge in his pants.

He felt her hands glide down to his chest and push slightly. Bossy even like this. He thought, amused as he leaned back into the headboard and pulled her more firmly against him. But her hands on his chest shoved harder and became more insistent. Before he could get his upper brain to start working the girl bit his lip and shoved him hard.

Hermione scrambled away from him to the end of the bed. Her hands were clutching at her chest and she was hyperventilating.

"Hermione? Are you alright? What's wrong?" Harry tried to reach for her but she jumped off the bed.

She held herself, clutching her chest and through gritted teeth replied, "It hurts. Why does it hurt?'

Harry got out of the bed and approached her but she backed up.

"Harry, I think you should go." Hermione backed up into the dresser behind her, still holding herself.

"Hermione, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you,"

"No, don't apologize. You didn't do anything wrong. I-I just need to be alone for a bit, Harry. I think I've been clinging onto you a bit too much. I have to try and work through my feelings on my own. You understand that, don't you?" She looked at him imploringly.

He did. Harry remembered all the times he hid himself away trying to figure his future out and the worry he had after Sirius's close call. The young man nodded to her then picked up his school bag from the chair nearby. "You know where to find me if you need me."

"Of course, Harry."

"Just promise me one thing."

"Anything." Hermione graced home with a soft smile.