Chapter 19

Severus quelled the panic that arose as he took in the dark expanse. The speed at which she had forced herself into deep occlusion was both impressive and concerning. Whatever she had learned was monumental and he feared what effect it would have on the young woman and her memory loss. He closed his eyes and reached out for the bond.

It was faint but straight ahead. Despite the odd out of body feeling he was experiencing, he ran forward into the abyss, chasing the faint feeling of the bond and the fiery licks of Hermione's magic. Severus came upon a wall of black stone and focused his magic towards it. BOMBARDA!

The spell blew a hole in the middle of the wall that began rebuilding immediately. Severus jumped through the hole. By the time his feet hit the ground the hole closed and he was in oppressive darkness. He quickly cast lumos and found Hermione's mind library was dark and disheveled. Severus recalled the last time he was here, when she had shown him the conversation with Dumbledore about her parents.

"Hermione?" He called out as he stepped around toppled furniture and books.

The Potions Master heard a soft gasp from behind the desk in the corner. Cautiously he crossed the room. When he circled the desk he found Hermione curled up under it surrounded by the books he recognized held her memories of her parents. She didn't look up at him but tears spilled freely down her face as she turned the pages. Crouching down, he joined her under the desk with his legs splayed out in front of him, too long to fit in the cramped space.

"Hermione. Talk to me," He spoke in a low soft voice. Her brow rose when she lifted her head and turned to him. "The door is open."

"You've said that to me before." As if she just realized who was sitting next to her she slammed the book shut, "Professor Snape. You're in my mind."

"Astute observation as always, Hermione," He quipped.

"You've been here before, haven't you?" She asked. Despite disliking explaining himself, he allowed her questions if it would stop her tears, even momentarily.

"Yes, Hermione. A few times. It's always a library and always in different states of repair and disrepair," Severus answered. He guided the lit tip of his wand to look at the carnage around them. "Do you mind allowing the sconces to be lit?"

Hermione hesitated then nodded. Immediately half the sconces lit, enough light to maneuver around the room safely, but not bright enough to remove the gloom that had descended upon them. He could feel her staring at him, but he resolutely looked out at the room. Without another word he began charming her library back to its original state, not speaking, only giving his presence in solidarity.

"You keep calling me Hermione," The girl closed the books around her and stacked them to her left side.

"You asked me to call you that," He did not look at her, allowing her to set the pace. Severus knew he had to be delicate. She had pulled her mind library so far back that he would need her cooperation to save her from the abyss of deep occlusion.

"I don't remember."

"Obviously."

"I like it when you say it. Your voice is soothing," She closed her eyes and sighed.

Severus finished the majority of the work he was doing before looking back to her. The tear stains on her cheeks were still prominent and her hair was a mess as always. Yet you still find her beautiful like this but even more so in your bed. He waved away the memory of his follies.

"Hermione, talk to me." His voice was not stern nor forceful. It was almost a plea. He knew how she had spiraled the first time. The catalyst to their current coupling.