| 20 |

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐎𝐔𝐒 𝐈𝐍𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐔𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 ||
𝑴𝑰𝑳𝑬𝑺 𝑬𝑫𝑮𝑬𝑾𝑶𝑹𝑻𝑯

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐎𝐔𝐒 𝐈𝐍𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐔𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 || 𝑴𝑰𝑳𝑬𝑺 𝑬𝑫𝑮𝑬𝑾𝑶𝑹𝑻𝑯

【(20)】

Ridiculous

Ridiculous.

No, not ridiculous, preposterous!

What kind of insensitive piece of shi-

"Um, Deputy, are you alright?"

Gumshoe was staring at Vivienne with a sullen look, watching at she fiddled anxiously with the ring on the finger. Something she did when she was nervous, he picked it up once when she was speaking to a few co-workers talking about a sensitive case. Though she was thick-skinned, she had a kind heart and compassionate soul. He liked that about her, "I'm fine. Just-Bewildered. What an intolerable man."

"Yeah, that's Edgeworth for you. But I am kinda shocked that he would stand you up though."

Vivienne sighed, looking back to the time registered on her wall and recognizing it was time for her lunch. She only had 45 minutes for her break, and she savored every last minute. She dismissed Gumshoe, thanked him with a hug, and ushered down the street towards her favorite cafe. They had the best coffee around. Not only that, the cafe was converted into a mix between food and books, as a small bookstore was sheltered in the corner.

It was a unique concept, a bookstore cafe, where one could enjoy a lovely sip of caffeine while renting out a book to read while finishing the remnants of the pastries. And if someone likes the book enough, it's always available for purchase.

"I'll take a Carmel latte please. And one of these little guys here, the turkey and Gouda cheese sandwich please," Vivienne happily exerted towards the worker, who knows Vivienne quite well as she's become a regular. Every day for lunch, she'd rush out of work to greet the young man with a gracious smile for always giving her the best service. He had a bright aura, someone who could make your problems wash away by cracking some cheesy jokes. He was a skinny guy, probably not much older than 20, with a few tattoos peeking out of his work uniform. Alex was a nonchalant kind of guy, his auburn hair always messy and shaggy, and his clothes always had to adorn some wrinkles.

"Sounds great, and how are ya doing today, Deputy?" Alex questioned towards the woman, imputing the details onto the machine. He recalled that she wasn't too fond of bacon, so he was sure to remove it. It's become a little inside tease between the two, as ironically, Alex's father was a butcher. And despite that, he was still a vegetarian.

"Could be a lot better, but it'll be alright," Vivienne exasperated, fumbling through her classical bag to find her wallet, "Had a rough night. Some guy stoo-."

"It's on me," A familiar voice beckoned from behind her. She peeked to her side, seeing the tint of the burgundy colored suit reaching past her figure, handing the worker a $20 bill. All she could do was wish that it wasn't who she thought it was. Not only was she embarrassed that she was caught speaking of him, but she was engulfed with rage from the night before.

Alex could see the tension building on Vivienne's shoulders as he hesitantly took the money from the gentleman, unsure of what to do. On one hand, she's getting a free drink, but on the other, she doesn't seem to be too fond of the gentleman. Frankly, Vivienne wanted to spin around and have her palm connect with his insufferable cheek, but she held herself against it. "I don't need your charity money," The flustered woman picked out the bill from her purse, handing the money to the cashier as she gently took the $20 back from his hand, and slamming it on the counter beside her.

"Keep the change Alex," Vivienne strolled away, gracefully placing the money on the counter before heading toward her cherished seat in the rear of the room. However, her solitude was short-lived as unwelcome company soon intruded upon her space. She longed to bury her head in her arms, escaping the unwelcome attention.

"Did I do something wrong?"

Vivienne scoffed, "You can't be serious right?"

"I'm not sure I understand," Miles reluctantly responded, settling into a chair across from the irate girl, whose anger intensified at his careless attitude. She marveled at his apparent cruelty and selfishness, seemingly oblivious to the repercussions of his actions."Well, let me make things clear for you. I need you to leave me alone. I mean, seriously Miles, how could one be so selfish? You made plans with me, stood me up, and then act like everything is completely fine? You couldn't even bother to call!"

Edgeworth was taken aback. He had never seen her so angry and hurt, especially considering it was all due to a misunderstanding. "You didn't get my message?"

Vivienne huffed, "What message."

Miles was sure to fire her when he got back to it, "I left the responsibility up to my assistant to inform you of the change of date. I assume she failed to do so beckoning by your reaction."

The young deputy was at a loss of words, but it was quickly shadowed by anger, "Really? So you gave the responsibility to your assistant rather than taking two minutes out of your time to call and reschedule."

She had a point.

"I-," Miles searched for the right words, "Yes."

What an intolerable man.

A scoff escaped her lips, "Please leave. I'm trying to enjoy my coffee and you're disturbing my peace."

"Vivienne, will you pease let me make it up to you?"

"Mr. Edgeworth, I believe I asked you to leave."

What a stubborn girl, she could practically hear her father's voice laced in her head. Miles sighed, defeated, but decided it was best if he gave her time.

As he made his leave, Vivienne called out, "Wait!" She had to prove her father wrong, "Fine. You have one more chance. Do not disappoint."

"