awkward

"I cannot love everybody
but you isnt anybody"

<3

Maddy

I laid my head against the arm of the couch. Friends was playing on the tv, although I wasn't really watching it. I was too busy scrolling through Paige's instagram. Because why not.

It had been a couple days since I saw Paige again, but I still couldn't stop thinking about our little moments together. How we would glance at each other before turning away smiling. Or how her arms wrapped around me to help me shoot a basketball. The multiple times I've caught her starring. All the memories were playing through my mind like a broken record, on repeat.

I kept trying to tell myself that I was overthinking it, and that she just seen me as a friend and I saw her the same way. But I've never smiled like a little kid at the thought of any of my other friends like I do with Paige.

I swiped out of Paige's instagram, and tossed my phone on my lap, and turned my head to the tv to watch my show.

"Ding."

Paige from basketball

Hey

hi

Are you coming to
practice tonight?

idk, i don't
have to take
pictures, so
there isnt any
reason for me to.
why?

Because the girls
wanted you too.
And I do too.

oh, sure!
same time as usual?

yup
see you there ❤️

I stared at the last message she sent for a couple of minutes. Feeling my cheeks heating up at a text message.

I got up and walked to my bedroom, changing out of the clothes I wore to class and into something more comfortable. I slid on my shoes and grabbed my keys, leaving my apartment and walking off to my car. I still had half an hour till practice, but I wanted to grab a coffee.

The drive to my favorite coffee shop was only five minutes away from my apartment, so arriving there didn't take long at all.

Walking in, I ordered my usual drink. An iced coffee with caramel drizzle. Once it was made and given to me, I turned around and walked out. Almost as soon as I walked out of the shop, I bumped into someone's chest, the coffee dropping out of my grip and hitting the floor harshly.

"Oh my gosh. I am so sorry." He instantly apologized, bending down to pick up the now-empty cup. My mouth was dropped open, pure disappointment and shock on my face.

"Let me buy you another one." He offered, to which I just shook my head.

"I can't ask you to do that, it was just an accident."

"Please, I insist."

Normally I would've declined his offer. I hate letting people buy me things. But I wanted my coffee.

"Alright. Fine." I smiled, walking back inside with him. I threw away the cup as he ordered his drink. I walked up and ordered mine once he was done.

As we waited for our drinks to be made, he spoke up.

"I'm Enzo, by the way." He stuck out his hand.

"Madison." I took his hand, shaking it lightly.

"You're the new photographer for the women's basketball team, right?"

"That would be me."

"That's funny, I actually play for the men's basketball team." He said as we got handed our drinks.

"Oh wow. Well, thank you for the drink."

"Of course. Uh- Wanna sit?" He pointed to one of the tables and chairs next to us. I still had time to kill, and he seemed pretty nice. So why not?

"Sure."

We both sat at the table, across from each other. We started talking about basketball, and how it's been being a photographer for the team. Then we started to talk about his team and how their year has been so far. I found myself getting lost in the conversation, and before I knew it I only had five minutes to be at the gym.

"Oh- I'm really sorry but I have to go." I quickly got up from the table, picking up my coffee.

"Wait- can I at least get your number before you leave?" He asked, taking his phone out of his pocket.

I thought it was an odd request, but he seemed friendly so why not? I typed my number into his phone and handed it back to him, before actually leaving the coffee shop and getting into my car.

I pulled up and walked inside. Immediately met with the sound of basketballs hitting the hard ground and chatter among the girls. When I walked in Nika was the first one to notice me.

"Maddy!" She smiled and walked over to me.

"Was starting to think you weren't going to show." She joked.

"I know, I lost track of time."

"While getting coffee?" Paige spoke up, walking over to us. I looked down at my now half-empty iced coffee.

"Something like that." I laughed.

"It's alright, glad you came." She smiled as she brought me into a side hug.

The girls ended up going back to practice, and I stood on the side of the court. Watching and cheering them on.

"Maddy!" Nika shouted, unexpectedly passing me a ball. My eyes widened, but I somehow caught it. Dribbling it, and tossing it towards the hoop. I watched as it hit and went through. The girls instantly started cheering and I suddenly felt an arm wrap around my shoulder, pulling me closer.

"Nice shot." Paige smiled down at me.

"Thank you." I smiled, feeling somewhat proud of myself. Basketball had never been a big thing for me before I got to know the girls.

I pulled myself away from Paige's arm so she could return to practice, she frowned softly and walked back to the girls.

I continued cheering the girls on, each shot they would take whether they would make it or miss it. But a few hours later practice ended and everyone was getting ready to leave.

Paige, Azzi and I all walked out to the parking lot together, separating as we got to Paige's car.

"Thanks for coming." Paige pulled me into another hug, my arms wrapping around her waist as hers fell around my shoulders.

"Of course." I chuckled. She let go and they both got into their car while I walked over to mine.

————

hiiii
longer chap
new character unlocked🤭
ok bye 😘