cars outside

"Darling, all the city lights
Never shine as bright as your eyes"

<3

Paige

"You ready yet?" Azzi asked, waiting next to the front door for me.

"I just gotta get my shoes on," I told her, grabbing a pair of Nikes and sliding them on.

"Finally." She sighed and we walked out of the dorm together, down to my car in the parking lot.

"Hey, do you know if Maddy's coming to practice?"

"Probably not, why?" She asked, getting into the passenger side.

"Just wondering."

Azzi nodded, eyeing me in confusion. But not saying anything else.

"She should come, don't you think?"

"Why do you want her to come so badly, Paige," Azzi asked with a slight smirk on her face.

"I just think, like she's basically a part of the team. She should come to practices."

"I think you just want her to come so you can stare at her some more."

"I don't stare!"

Azzi let out a sigh and grabbed her phone. I couldn't tell exactly what she was doing, but I could hear the sound of typing coming from her phone.

"There. I texted her asking her to come. Now can I please play music?" Azzi asked, picking up the aux cord.

I drove us the rest of the way to practice, neither of us really talking anymore and just singing to the music Azzi was playing.

Whenever we walked in, the other girls were either already there or arriving along with us. After putting our things away we started by just dribbling and passing the basketball around.

Then we moved on to actually shooting the ball.

It had been almost an hour and there was still no sight of Maddy. It's not like I needed her there, I just think she should be here with us. All of us.

"Paige!" Nika called, passing the ball to me. I easily caught the ball and shot it towards the net.

Miss

I let out a groan and got another ball, dribbling it against the court floor and aiming it to the net.

Miss

"You good, P?" Aubrey asked, "You've made like three shots this entire practice."

I didn't say anything but nodded and went to grab another ball and shoot it.

Miss

I let out a loud groan and ended up letting the ball dribble across the court. I walked over to my stuff and grabbed my water bottle, trying to clear my mind.

"Hey."

I quickly snapped my head to the spot beside me where Maddy now stood.

"Hey! You came." I smiled, bringing her into a side hug.

"Yeah, I had nothing better to do."

I glanced down at the camera that hung around her neck lazily.

"You brought it?"

"Mhm, I'm just going to take some photos for the Instagram page."

I nodded, looking down at her with the stupid smile still on my face. Neither of us pulled our eyes away from each other and once again it was like we were the only ones in the room. I still didn't understand how I got lost in her eyes so easily, but at this moment I didn't care.

"Paige!"

I turned my attention back to the girls on the court, and Nika who was trying to get my attention. She passed a ball to me and I walked back to the middle of the court. I bounced the ball in front of my legs a couple of times before jumping up slightly and shooting toward the hoop.

I watched it go around the net and in through the hoop. Finally making a shot.

Practice went on like normal. Maddy would occasionally take photos of us and cheer us on from the courtside.

Once practice was finally over, all the girls started gathering their things and heading out. Once everyone was off the court, I looked over to Maddy who was still gathering her things.

"Hey, I'll be out in a minute," I told Azzi before handing her my keys so she could get in my car.

"Maddy, come play with me," I called to her, bouncing the basketball in front of my legs.

"Okay." She sat down her stuff, rolled her sleeves up and walked to me. I passed the ball to her first, letting her take the shot, which she made.

Then I grabbed the ball, dribbling it before shooting it above her head and through the net.

Once I got the ball back, Maddy stood in front of me to guard the net.

"Mads, you're like 5'5. You can't guard me."

"I'm 5'7!" She frowned, her arms falling to her sides.

As her arms went down I took the opportunity and made the shot.

"No fair." She jokingly pouted her bottom lip.

"Fine, guard me again. No distractions." I picked the ball back up and she positioned herself in front of me.

I shuffled my feet around, making her trip as she tried to guard me. As she was about to fall back and hit the court, my arm swooped around her waist to hold her up. Her hands naturally held around my shoulder as she pulled herself back up. The space between us was smaller than either of us expected it to be. I bit down on my bottom lip as my eyes glanced between hers and her eyes. Maddy noticed and raised her eyebrows. A small smile went to my face as the distance between us was getting noticeably shorter.

"Ring." "Ring."

The loud ring came from Maddy's back pocket, making both of us let go of each other. She reached for her phone to see who was facetiming her.

"Sorry, it's Val."

Val?

"Who Val?" I asked as she picked it up and brought the camera to face her.

"My best friend."

"Who was that?" I heard Val ask through the phone.

"Paige." She answered.

"She knows me?"

Maddy brought the phone to face me, and on the other end was a blonde whose eyes widened.

"Like the Paige that you never shut up about?" She laughed and Maddy's eyes widened, quickly bringing the phone away.

"Okayy! That's enough of you."

"I'll talk to you later, Azzis waiting on me." I brought her into a small side hug before gathering my things and walking out of the gym.

The whole walk from the court to my car I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off my face. And as soon as I got into the driver's seat, Azzi immediately questioned me about it.

"What's all this about?" She waved her hand in front of my face.

"Azzi, I'm gonna tell you something, and you can't tell anyone." I started the car, she didn't say anything but nodded with a confused expression across her face.

"I think I like Maddy," I muttered as I started driving.

"Congrats on being the last to figure that out."

————

hiiii
longer chapter but i hope u still enjoyed
paige finally realized her feelings 🤭
ok bye loves