Chapter 22

It was the dawn of the year 1600 when Greenwood received some of the worst news since its founding.

Thranduil, Celebelen, and Oropher met in the throne room. The king poured over a letter in his hands looking deeply troubled. When he looked up to see them, he said, "We have all been deceived."

Celebelen grabbed Thranduil's hand in anxiety. She replied softly, "What has happened?"

"Lord Gil Galad has written to tell us that the one we knew as Annatar, lord of gifts, was actually Sauron, servant of Morgoth. He has openly proclaimed himself an agent of darkness and has created a truly evil and vile weapon," the king replied grimly.

Thranduil's hand squeezed hers briefly, "What kind of weapon?"

"Gil Galad says it is a ring of power. He says Sauron poured all his malice and will to dominate into it. We know very little else about it's abilities..."

She took a deep breath, trying desperately to steady herself, "What will we do?"

Oropher was silent for several long moments, taking care to stare at both of them in turn. Perhaps his gaze lingered on Thranduil before he himself heaved a sigh and replied, "We fortify our kingdom. We protect our own. We must do what is best for our people."

Celebelen opened her mouth to argue, but stopped when she felt Thranduil pull strongly on their bond, Wait.

She looked at him aghast, and he shook his head almost imperceptibly. We can discuss this together later, this is not a good time to press father.

Oropher seemed to have not noticed. He shifted on his feet while folding the letter back up and slid it into his breast pocket. "I must draw up more precise security plans. I'll keep the two of you updated. You may go, for now."

Both of them deeply bowed to Oropher together, as they had many times before. Thranduil then took her hand and lead her out into the halls. In another moment, Celebelen overtook him and began leading him towards their bedroom.

When they arrived, the princess shut the door quickly behind him. She whirled around and demanded, "What do you mean by all of that?"

Knowing what she meant, he began to pace before replying, "I have seen father stressed before. I have seen him worried. But the only time I have ever seen him look like that was before I was sent to fight the dragon at our borders."

"Shouldn't that mean we should be preparing for war? Not just preserving our kingdom, but riding out to meet the threat?" she asked.

"Beloved, we do not know what the enemy has in store. It would serve us better to wait and see, then make our choice when we have all the variables. Father is right, we must do what is best for our people," he argued.

It didn't sit right with her in the least. But she knew there was truth and value in his words. She sat on the edge of their bed and clung to the bedpost. She did not notice the wood dimly glow beneath her touch. Thranduil sat next to her and gently, but insistently, pulled her into his arms. On instinct, her arms wrapped around his shoulders as she nuzzled her nose into his soft shirt covering his chest. She pressed an ear to his heartbeat, seeking comfort.

She whispered to him, as if admitting a secret, "I don't want to do nothing, when I could have helped."

Thranduil softly shushed her while pulling her leg over his own hip to get her closer, "Don't you worry, my love. We will do all we can."

Despite his words, she still felt anxious and she knew he could tell. His flat palm rubbed her back, tracing her spine delicately. The warmth was pleasant, and so was the loving comfort she could feel him push through their bond.