Chapter 26

Years passed, and Thranduil eventually returned to training with the soldiers while Celebelen returned to her full duties as head doctor. She spent her spare time in her greenhouse, talking absentmindedly to her butterflies and the birds that came to keep her company. She was quite enjoying breeding special strains of fruit for her husband's wine. She hadn't quite hit paydirt just yet, but it always made her giggle when he asked her about it. He was always so impatient.

Eventually, she brought up that she had heard that a colony of dwarves had settled in the lone mountain not far outside their forest to the east. Oropher and Thranduil both goggled at her when she suggested they open up trade with them, and offer them help when they needed.

The king shook his head, "Dwarves, princess? Have you taken leave of your senses?"

She shook her head and replied, "I think it would be good for us. As well as opening trade with the Northmen."

Thranduil looked up from a map he had been pouring over, raising his brow, "I am not so sure..."

She smiled and tapped his nose with the tip of her index finger, "And that is why it will be good for us."

Giggling at his surprised expression, she crooked her finger to gently tap under his chin to close his open mouth before she stood and bowed to Oropher. She felt his eyes watch her carefully as she left the room.

Eventually, Greenwood did end up opening trade with other peoples of Middle Earth, which pleased her immensely. It was her opinion that Oropher and Thranduil were both entirely too closed off, and needed desperately to make friends. Her father had told her many stories of the friendships he had forged with the race of men, and she was eager to follow in his footsteps. And despite many elves sharing the king's opinion on dwarves, she was very curious about them and wondered what it would be like to meet them.

As time went on, Celebelen decided to discover new ways to amuse herself and tease her husband. It was extremely funny to watch him try to maintain the facade of cold and aloof royalty as she made him blush. She became more and more bold with her endeavor, eventually taking her chances in public.

One morning, she knew he had a meeting with the council and diplomats about matters that were not part of her responsibilities. While she was not intentionally invited, she knew it wouldn't be too much of a problem if she showed up. She waited until she was certain he was very focused on his task before making her move.

Suddenly, a river of gold hair fell between the document Thranduil had been reading and his face. It was Celebelen's face that popped into view, though she was upside down with her light cloak flowing into his lap. She knew her hair and cloak would hide them both from view of others momentarily. Her index finger pressed to her lips, before she leaned close and kissed him as fiercely as she could while upside down and trying not to make a sound. Palms holding his cheeks, she pressed her advantage by nibbling gently at his bottom lip. When he couldn't help but hum out of pleasure in the back of his throat she drew away, pressing a finger to her lips again.

In the next moment, she flipped her hair and cloak back as she sat right side up again, perched on the back of the chair he had been sitting in. Perfectly balancing above him, her fingers deftly swiped at her lips, hiding any trace of their kiss. She quickly smoothed the wrinkles in her dress, then braided the loose ends of her hair before she hopped down.

Thranduil stared after her open mouthed at her audacity, as she touched Oropher's shoulder and murmured, "I am sorry for the interruption. Thank you for your patience."

Standing up suddenly as she backed out of the room, he watched as she playfully bowed to both of them. She saw Oropher had grabbed his arm as he made to follow her and heard him tell Thranduil from outside the door, "We're not done yet, son."