5 - Train Station Conversations

Ron and Hermione had both been rather surprised to find that Harry was going home for the break and decided that they would as well. It had never really hit Harry that his two best friends had given up staying with their families for many of the winter holidays because of him and felt slightly guilty.

Still, he felt nothing more satisfying than walking by the list for people staying at Hogwarts and not seeing his name. Of course, no student was staying this year. Harry figured that this was both due to the same reason that many students had been kept from Hogwarts in the first place, and that those who did believe Dumbledore knew that bad times were ahead and wanted to be with their families.

Of course, Ron joked that now that they were leaving, nobody had a reason to stay.

"Oh come on Harry, you know they're all thinking, 'Well if those two Gryffindor stud-muffins aren't staying than what's the point?" Ron said with a laugh.

"Should we send out notices apologizing that we have to take the fun out of Hogwarts for Christmas?" Harry asked in mock-seriousness.

"Nah. Might make them cry even harder."

The two boys laughed as Hermione rolled her eyes joining in the laughter as well.

Harry had obviously never left Hogwarts for Christmas since he was enrolled. He had never before felt the joy of packing only some of his belongings, knowing that he'd be back soon. For once he didn't dread leaving the school.

The train ride home was filled with students chatting excitedly about their holiday plans. At one point a group of rowdy Hufflepuffs started singing carols, most unfamiliar wizard ones, but Harry recognized a few Muggle songs as well.

Another aspect of this train ride that was different was that many students were practicing magic to show their parents since magic was not forbidden during winter vacation as it was during the summer. Harry guessed this was to give the students some opportunity to show off to their families what they had learned.

When they got to the station, Harry saw the Stensons, who he had told to look for him at Platform 8. (He thought that seeing him appear from a wall might be a bit of a shock for the moment.) He quickly ran over to them, saying something about a mix up in platform numbers. The Weasleys and Hermione came up to be introduced, and for once, Harry didn't have to be embarrassed by the people picking him up from the station.

Ron gave Harry a discreet nod to communicate that he had, in fact, informed his family about the Stenson's ignorance of magic.

Once the three members of the Stenson family, along with the six present members of the Weasley family and Hermione, were introduced, the conversation quickly became awkward.

Mr. Stenson immediately asked everyone how school was (which got a resounding "fine, thanks" in reply) but then began probing into what their favourite subjects were and what they did in their free time there. Hermione mentioned history, and Harry mentioned math, but quickly tried to close the subject before any questions could be asked about what math they were in or what they were learning about in history, as he wasn't quite sure what would be the response that would correctly correspond to their ages.

Mrs. Stenson, sensing tension, tactfully asked Mr. Weasley what he did for a living. Unfortunately, Mr. Weasley couldn't exactly say that he worked with the Ministry of Magic in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts department, as the Stensons might have tried to have him committed.

Chaos emerged as Mr. Weasley looked to Harry and Hermione for support, since they were the only two wizards familiar with Muggle occupations. Fortunately, both were on their toes about the subject and quickly stated the Muggle job Mr. Weasley supposedly had. Unfortunately, Hermione firmly stated "dentist" while Harry simultaneously declared "lawyer."