23 - The Ball

It was, at last, the day of the dance, getting closer and closer to the time it would actually start. The day went very quickly, the whole school buzzing with excitement for the ball that night.

Finally, it was time for everyone to get ready. Seamus and Dean were going with Parvati and Lavender, while Neville got a date with a Ravenclaw. They were all out the dorm early, saying they were meeting their dates at dinner, leaving Ron and Harry. Harry wasn't very nervous. It was true that he was uncomfortable dancing, but he didn't feel as if he had to impress anyone. Unlike the previous year, he wasn't going to be put under the spotlight so the pressure was off. Ron, on the other hand, was absolutely flustered. He couldn't stop pacing and trying to fix every little detail about his appearance.

"Harry, are you sure I look all right?" Ron asked for the hundredth time. Harry sighed.

"You look fine Ron, for the billionth time. Don't worry; Hermione must think you're good-looking. Merlin knows she can't like you for your personality." Ron laughed and threw a pillow at Harry who grinned to show he was joking.

"I can't believe Fred and George got me these robes. Did I tell you about their private investor in their joke shop? Some bloke gave them a bunch of money. They won't tell us who though, said he wants to remain anonymous. What moron would give those two money?" Ron said straightening his new dress robes again. Harry couldn't help but laugh.

"Hmm...sounds like a good investment to me," Harry said attempting to suppress a grin by biting his bottom lip. "Now budge over. You've been hogging the mirror for half an hour."

"Have not," Ron said indignantly, stepping out of the way. Harry quickly looked himself over.

"Oh wonderful, you two look so smart!" the mirror exclaimed, very excitedly. "And you should wear green more often, young man, it brings out your eyes. Too bad there isn't something to do about that hair." Harry rolled his eyes, which did stand out spectacularly. He had long ago given up explaining to a mirror that his hair just didn't lay flat and would always remain messy looking. Besides, Harry had grown to like it that way.

The two boys went down to the common room to wait for Hermione, Ron nervously smoothing his robes.

"Ron, you'd better quit that or you're going to rub a hole right through them."

"Shut it, Harry."

Finally, Hermione and the rest of the fifth year Gryffindor girls came down all looking nervous and giggly. Ron began blushing and grinning upon seeing Hermione, who looked even more stunning than she did the previous year.

Harry didn't notice the girls looking him up and down very approvingly, not including Hermione who only had eyes for the redhead standing next to him.

"Y-you look great!" Ron stammered. The girls giggled making Ron blush. Hermione shushed them.

"You look good too, Ron," she smiled. She appeared very calm and collected, but Harry could see hints of nervousness that only he could notice.

"All right you two lovebirds, let's go. Eloise is meeting me outside." He succeeded in making his two friends blush and received two punches on his arm.

They were leaving the portal when the whispering behind them stopped enough for Parvati to yell, "Save me a dance, Harry!" Hushed giggles immediately followed. It was Harry's turn to blush. He was surprised, especially because of the lousy date he'd made the previous year.

"Er...all right," he said lamely and rushed out of the common room.

They were to meet Eloise at a previously designated staircase. She looked nice in her light purple robes. As they approached, they heard some Slytherin girls teasing the poor Ravenclaw.