35 - Aftermath

"NOOOOOO!" screamed Ron and Hermione, bruising their fists as they banged desperately against the barrier.

Everyone watched the scene in horror, the white light floating above Harry's lifeless body. However, white wasn't the only color, just the dominant one. There were also golden streaks inside, which represented his magic, and a red sphere of light in the center that was growing rapidly in midair. Few knew it but this was Harry's cancer, growing rapidly from the spell Harry had cast.

The blue light shot back into Voldemort's chest, pulling the white light, Harry's life energy, along with it. Finally all light had disappeared and all was silent with shock, confusion, and anticipation.

Voldemort held out his hand, palm up and looked at it curiously. A flame burst up from it and he smiled triumphantly. It then turned to ice, a frozen sculpture of flames, which he hurled at the ground, shattering it into pieces. He began cackling maniacally. His servants all stepped toward him in awe, collapsing to their knees in a semi circle before their master, with Harry's body lying crumpled near his feet. They began bowing and hailing him.

Voldemort turned his gaze to the ceiling and raised both his arms. As the students could see by looking at the enchanted ceiling, the sky outside instantly became covered in dark clouds and rain began pouring down. They could hear the loud crashing of thunder as lightning streaked the sky, as if announcing the ultimate return of the Dark Lord.

Several of the students with parents out there in masks, most of whom were in Slytherin, looked excitedly triumphant, glad they had obviously picked the winning side. They cast looks of malice at Draco Malfoy, whose eyes kept flickering between the dead body of Harry, Voldemort, and his father, trembling with shock. The other students, however, looked either terrified at the sight before them or had looks of anger at the first death of what they knew would be many more. These students got their wands in hand, determined that if they would soon die, they would not go down without a fight. They would fight back as Harry had done.

The professors fell silent, looks of defeat plaguing the faces of all but two. Snape and Dumbledore were silently praying that the plan had worked.

Suddenly, Voldemort's triumphant laughter ceased abruptly, along with the lightning and thunder. Everything seemed to freeze. "What?" he sputtered. He began coughing up blood into his hand. He stared in horror at the pool of blood in his palm. Sweat began pouring off his face. His servants had stopped their grovelling and stared at their master. Voldemort fell to the ground.

"Help me," he croaked to his followers reaching a hand out to them, but they all just backed away in horror, not wanting to be inflicted with whatever was happening to their master.

"You'll all burn in hell," he hissed. He began to scream in anguish, clawing at his chest. Abruptly, the screaming stopped and Voldemort's body went slack. The barriers all disappeared along with the cage surrounding Malfoy. There was a flash of light above Voldemort's body, and somehow, everyone knew he was gone.

"ACCIO WANDS," Dumbledore bellowed and each of the professors' wands were returned to their owner. Many of the Death Eaters frantically Portkeyed away, abandoning the ones who didn't have Portkeys. With the help of the elder members of the student body, the rest of the Death Eaters were quickly rounded up, disarmed, and taken down to the dungeons by professors. Other professors were desperately trying to control the rest of the frantic body of students, leading many to the Owlery. The older students were sent on errands to owl certain people and to comfort the younger children. Dumbledore removed Voldemort's body.

Meanwhile, as soon as the wards went down, Ron and Hermione raced over to Harry. Ron grabbed Harry's shoulder and flipped him over so he was lying on his back. His eyes and mouth were closed. His expression was peaceful despite the blood that was still on his cheek and at the corner of his mouth.