36 - Heartfelt Conversations

The next day, Hogwarts was the epitome of chaos. All classes and tests had been canceled. The house elves were being distracted by the painful wails that had been emitting from Dobby ever since he had discovered the news. Owls had been sent out the night before and parents were demanding to take their children home. Reporters were hounding Dumbledore like an angry mob. The ministry was buzzing around interrogating Death Eaters with Veritaserum and taking them off to Azkaban. Experts were called in to assure the minister that the corpse was indeed that of the Dark Lord. Soon that was taken away, though nobody was quite sure what the ministry was going to do with it. Nobody wanted his body buried near their homes.

The ministry tried to take Harry's body as well, asking who wanted to make the funeral arrangements, but Dumbledore refused to let anyone take it and promised to contact them later about the matter.

Professor McGonagall hauled out and smacked Professor Trelawney with pure unadulterated fury when she had boasted about predicting the boy's death. The head of Gryffindor leapt at the other professor and began pulling her hair when the other professors broke it up. As they pulled her out of the room, she screamed, "If she can predict the future so well, why didn't she predict that one, eh?" as the Divination professor held her cheek in shock.

Professor Flitwick led her from the room, praising her for the long overdue wake-up call to the idiotic Divination professor, after getting her a strong cup of tea.

The Weasley's parents showed up hysterical as well, demanding that Dumbledore himself tell them exactly what had happened. When he was done, Mrs. Weasley cried for a half and hour straight before asking to see Harry's body. Dumbledore led Mr. and Mrs. Weasley into his private chambers, thankful that he had had the foresight to put a preservation charm on the boy.

They walked in to find Sirius sitting in a chair staring blankly at his godson. Remus was sitting beside him, whispering comforting things to Sirius, being the only one of the two who acknowledged the Weasleys' presence. He looked up and solemnly nodded.

They walked over. Harry's body was lying on Dumbledore's huge bed, making the boy look even smaller than he was. Mrs. Weasley stared down at the face of the innocent boy that she had begun to think of as one of her own.

She gently traced the lightening scar on his forehead with her fingers. She then bent down and kissed his forehead lightly, her tears dripping into his black hair.

"You've always made us proud, Harry. Always," she whispered before standing back up, wiping away her tears.

"How are you holding up, Sirius?" Mr. Weasley asked gently. Sirius looked up at them with a blank expression and just stared for a few seconds.

"I didn't even get to say goodbye," he whispered, before breaking down in sobs, burying his face in his hands. Remus rubbed his back comfortingly, a sad look in his own eyes. The Weasleys looked at him helplessly. Mrs. Weasley turned to Dumbledore.

"I need to see my children now," she demanded, a slightly frantic look in her eye.

"And Hermione, as well, if her parents haven't arrived yet," Mr. Weasley added.

"The Grangers arrived a few moments ago and are in my office. I'm sure you remember the way to the Gryffindor common room. The password is Thotheka. Take the back way to avoid reporters," he said. Mr. Weasley paused before stepping back into the office.

"Have the Stensons been told?" he asked.

"Not yet. I'm ashamed to say they slipped my mind, along with the Dursleys," Dumbledore said with a sigh. "It's been very hectic."

"Don't worry, Albus, after I go with Molly to see the kids, I'll go inform them both myself," Mr. Weasley offered sadly.

"Thank you, Arthur, that would be a great help. The Stensons will be quite upset, I'm sure."