6 - Christmas Revelations

Harry's winter holiday was going great. He truly felt part of a family. He helped pick out, put up, and decorate the Christmas tree, something he had never been allowed to do before. There was always hot chocolate, hot apple cider, or eggnog being passed around. Despite Harry's objections, there were even a few presents under the tree with his name on it.

Hedwig was in and out of the house, each time coming back with a gift with warnings not to open until Christmas written all over them. He happily put these gifts under the tree as well.

Finally, Christmas morning arrived, starting with Kota racing in, yelling for him to get up. Harry was up in a flash.

When everyone was downstairs, Harry took aside the presents from him and told the Stensons that they would have to be last because they required a bit of an explanation. He then looked at the Christmas tree with the Stensons searching for presents with their names on it, laughing with joy as they began to open them, and realized that he had no idea what to do. He had opened presents when they were on the end of his bed, but he couldn't help but wonder if there was a special way to go about opening presents under a Christmas tree. Was he supposed to just grab his presents and start opening? Was there a special order that he was supposed to open them?

"Harry, open this one, it's from me," Kota said handing him a present.

Well, that solves things. Harry thought as he took a seat on the floor beside Dakota and began to unwrap his present. It was a picture frame that contained a Muggle picture from a day when they had both been on a mad sugar rush as a result from attempting to cook brownies. They had made a huge mess and in the photo, both were covered in flour, cocoa powder, and the dark batter in general. Kota had jumped onto Harry's back and they were both sticking out their tongues at the camera. Harry laughed out loud and said thank you.

"Thanks Kota. It's great! I don't have very many pictures or picture frames. This is fantastic!"

"Well I'm glad you like it. Everyone ought to have pictures. Now you can show all your friends at that school of yours what a cute neighbour you have. You could show it to George Weasley. See if you can set us up!" she laughed. Kota had announced that she thought the Weasley twins were cute on the way home from King's Cross and chosen George since he was single. (Fred was dating Angelina.)

"Now Dakota, you know you're too young to date. You're not allowed to date until you're married," said Mr. Stenson, as he had many times before. Kota rolled her eyes in response and handed Harry the present from her parents, a very small box.

Harry unwrapped the gift. He had been wondering what it was ever since he had seen it under the tree. He opened the box to see a key. He turned his questioning gaze to Mrs. Stenson.

"Harry, that is a key to our house. You can use it any time you want as you're always welcome here."

"Th-thank you," Harry said somewhat stunned. "Are you sure?"

"Of course we're sure, Harry. Just don't let your Oompa Loompa uncle get his hands on it." Everyone laughed as Mrs. Stenson playfully hit her husband with a ball of wrapping paper. Harry thought there could be no greater gift.

The Stensons soon finished opening their presents. Harry had refrained from opening his until he could explain properly.

"So Harry, when are we going to get to open the mystery gifts?" Kota asked eyeing the gifts in the corner eagerly.

"All right, well as I said before, my gifts need somewhat of an explanation. I need to tell you something very important." Harry saw Mr. and Mrs. Stenson give each other a confused look. "Well, you see, a few years ago."