29 - Confrontations

The next day, Harry wasn't feeling very well. He suspected that he had overdone it with his magic the day before and was now paying the consequences. When they were walking to potions, Harry had to stop and grab Ron's arm at one point when he thought he would collapse. Ron and Hermione stopped and looked at him worriedly as Ron steadied him.

"Hey, mate, you okay?" he asked quietly.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine, just a little dizzy. Give me just a second," he said quietly. Hermione and Ron exchanged a worried look when they were sure Harry couldn't see.

"Oy, Potty, are you and the Weasel a couple now? I can understand wanting to do better than a Mudblood, Weasley, but Potter? That's just pathetic," came a familiar drawling voice.

Harry looked up wearily to see Malfoy with his gang observing them with a smug look on his face. He had noticed a drastic decline in the derogatory comments ever since he had saved Malfoy from falling in the Quidditch game. Now, however, the blonde was with his posse and couldn't bypass the opportunity to torture the Gryffindors.

Harry immediately let go of Ron's arm, trying not to sway.

"Shove off, ferret face," Ron snapped. "Go gel your hair or whatever it is you spoiled brats waste your time doing."

Malfoy decided to ignore Ron's comment and raised an eyebrow at Harry, who was trying and failing to stop his slight shivering. Harry knew he must've looked awful, but tried to appear as if he was fine. Unfortunately, Malfoy noticed.

"What's wrong with you, Potter. You look like you're dying. Can't get my hopes up though, now can I?" Malfoy drawled evoking sniggers from his followers.

Ron stilled, his face losing all color as a look of pure rage crossed over his features.

Harry grabbed his arm weakly. "Ron, it's fine. Leave it. It's not worth getting into troub..."

His words were lost as Hermione walked up to Malfoy, twisted her arm back and punched him full force in the face, causing the Slythering to stumble back. Her eyes glinted with fury. Malfoy put a hand to his face; his jaw dropped in shock. He looked back at her in shock, blood streaking down from his nose. Hermione stuck her index finger right up in his face.

"Don't you EVER say something like that again, you bastard! EVER! Do you understand me?" she screamed hysterically.

Crabbe and Goyle stepped toward her, fists raised, but Malfoy raised a hand to stop them. "You don't hit girls," he said as if horrified they had even thought about it. "We are civilized unlike some people who resort to barbaric ways." He then turned to Hermione who was still glaring at him. "Gutsy, Granger," he said quietly. "Just remember, there are other forms of revenge that are worse than a simple punch. I'd watch my back if I were you," he said ominously before stalking down the hall angrily, his posse following him. Pansy Parkinson raced after him waving a handkerchief yelling for him to let her take care of him.

Ron and Harry looked at Hermione in disbelief. She was massaging her fist.

"I don't understand why people always use their fists to fight. It's a lot less painful to just cast a spell and the effects can be more creative," she said calmly.

"'Mione, that was brilliant," Ron said in awe. "You are my hero."

"Yeah, 'Mione. Thanks. I mean, wow, you kicked his ass!" Harry said in wonder.

Hermione blushed slightly. "Well I really shouldn't have resorted to violence. How will you boys ever take me seriously again when I tell you not to do it?" she said, trying not to let her cheerfulness show, but failing.