34 - Showdown

The teachers were surrounded first and, taken by surprised, were easily captured in an invisible blockade that Voldemort had invented, leaving the professors hopeless without the counter curse. Spells could not be shot from inside out, only from the outside in, and the professors were immediately disarmed. Everyone screamed in horror at the sight of Voldemort, who had entered after his Death Eaters, and most scrambled to the doors. The students found themselves unable to escape from the Great Hall. With a flick of Voldemort's wand, the tables disappeared leaving nothing to hide behind. Those who tried to fight back had their wands taken from them. Eventually, the students were backed up against the walls of the Great Hall, like a stadium crowd.

Ron pulled Hermione behind himself so his body shielded hers.

"Ron, what are you doing?" she hissed.

"'Mione, they can easily find out that you're a Muggleborn so stay behind me," he whispered. He looked around to find that many had had the same idea. The Muggleborns and Half-bloods had been pushed to the back, being shielded by rows of Pure-bloods. Even some of the Slytherins were blocking some young and frightened Muggleborns.

The Death Eaters began circling, searching through the students. It seemed, however, that they did not find what they were looking for. Ron felt the blood leave his face as he realized who was being sought after.

"Where is Harry Potter?" Voldemort boomed angrily.

"Leave him be, Tom, he's just a boy," Dumbledore bellowed menacingly.

"I'll deal with you later old man," Voldemort hissed before casting a powerful silencing charm on the invisible cage containing the professors. "Now," he said turning back to the students. "Which of you know the whereabouts of Harry Potter?" he asked.

Silence and nervous glances filled the room.

"I said, I'd like to know the whereabouts of Harry Potter, NOW!"

More silence followed.

"I suggest somebody come forward before I begin killing students to get my answer. I am very impatient."

Ron looked anxiously at Hermione. They didn't want anyone to die but nothing short of a truth serum would get it out of them.

"Fine, if that's the way you want to play it." He nodded at one of the Death Eaters who turned and grabbed a second-year Hufflepuff girl and dragged her out crying to the Dark Lord. Her friends all cried her name and pleaded for her life.

The professors were pounding on the invisible barrier shouting words that couldn't be heard.

Voldemort lifted his wand. "Avada Kedavra."

Green light shot toward the girl and everyone screamed or gasped. The girl shut her eyes, squeezing out some final tears.

But the light never hit. Everyone peeked out from behind their hands. The girl cracked open an eye to find the green light frozen midair, right in front of her. Every eye in the room stared at it in wonder.

"What?" Voldemort bellowed furiously.

It then simply dropped to the ground, shattering like glass and then disappearing all together.

"Leave her alone. I'm here."

Everyone looked over to see Harry walking fearlessly into the room, wand in hand. Several of his friends shouted for him to run, but Harry ignored them all.

Voldemort's scowl turned into a malicious grin.

"Ah, Potter, I've been looking for you." He waved a hand nonchalantly toward the girl and a Death Eater shoved her back to her friends who all hugged her, bawling.