20 - Saves And A Strange Conversation

"All right team. I want us to all have healthy breakfasts," Angelina instructed, plopping heaps of food on everyone's plate.

"Er, no thanks Angelina, my stomach's not up to it," Harry told her.

"Nonsense," she responded, plopping a bunch of scrambled eggs onto his plate and filling his glass to the brim with orange juice.

Fred tried covering his plate with his hands, but Angelina just dumped food right on top of them, not even noticing with all her nervousness. Today was the final game for the Cup. They were playing against the Slytherins. It was going to be close on points, Slytherin only ten ahead. It was going to be a tight game.

Harry was too nervous to eat much. He picked at his food while Angelina scrutinized all her teammates.

As soon as she turned, the entire team began shoving large portions of food onto other people's plates.

"What? Harry!" Hermione scolded as he pushed all of his bacon onto her plate along with three-fourths of his eggs. Ron did the same to Neville who just laughed.

Each of the team members slipped their plates back in front of them as Angelina turned back around. Harry stuck a forkful of eggs in his mouth and reluctantly swallowed. Angelina looked happy.

"See! I knew you guys needed some fuel."

Everyone rolled their eyes.

Finally, Angelina signalled for her team to follow her to the locker rooms. They changed into their uniforms silently and then sat down for Angelina to give her pep talk.

"All right, guys and girls, this is it. The final match. The Cup is there, we just have to grab it." She paused. "Okay, forget this sentimental rubbish. Let's go squash 'em!"

This got a resounding cheer. They grabbed their brooms and marched out after Angelina, pumped up and ready to go.

The majority of the crowd roared as they marched out, drowning out the boos and hisses from the Slytherins. As usual in a Gryffindor vs. Slytherin game, three-quarters of the crowd was waving scarlet flags and had large banners saying things like "Sly's team may be big and rich, but Gryffindors can catch the Snitch!" and "1, 2, 3, 4, Gryffindors are gonna roar!" Harry's favourite was one with a picture of a lion playing jump rope with a snake.

The Slytherins had a few banners of their own. One had a snake that bit a lion and tore off a chunk of its flesh with the words, "Snakes eat Lion meat!" emblazoned around it. Harry thought that was a little disturbing.

"And here are the Gryffindors with a new keeper and a new captain, both who have proved themselves so far this year. Today will be the true test for the new team of Potter, Bell, Johnson, Spinnet, Weasley, Weasley, and, what do you know, Weasley!" yelled Lee Jordan, who was commentator as usual.

The Slytherins were introduced and Angelina roughly shook hands with the Slytherin captain at Madam Hooch's command.

"Mount your brooms."

Harry caught Ron's eye and they both grinned nervously. Madam Hooch blew her whistle and everyone shot into the air.

The game was intense, moving faster and more ferociously than Harry had ever seen it. The Beaters were smashing Bludgers toward people with a newfound fervour. Each attempted goal was thrown with purpose, knocking the keepers back on their brooms each time they caught the Quaffle. For the first time ever, Madam Hooch had to judge if a goal counted. Ron had caught the Quaffle, but it had been thrown with such momentum that it had knocked Ron back, broom and all, through the goal.

When she decided that it didn't count, the Slytherins became outraged. One of the Slytherin Beaters was right next to Harry and in a bout of fury swung his club at him with all his might. It hit Harry in the chest and Harry fell off his broom, grabbing on with one hand, the other one clutching his ribs, which were burning horribly. George was immediately by his side.