27 - Accidents

At lunch, Harry met Eloise and Neville in the library for a last minute studying session for a test in potions. Eloise had potions for her next class and was nearly hyperventilating in anxiety. Harry poured over the chapter with her and Neville, answering their questions quickly, trying his best to feed them clues to remembering the information.

When the bell rang, all the color drained from Eloise's face. She frantically began scanning things, flipping pages wildly. Harry gently took the book from her and skimmed the last part of the chapter quickly.

"Don't worry, I'll walk you part way to your class and explain this last bit to you," he explained as Eloise tried to grab the book from him. Neville ran off to Charms, and Harry walked along the corridors with Eloise, quickly explaining the last bit to her and then asking her questions about what they had studied. She answered many of the questions correctly, but also froze on a great deal of the ones that Harry was certain she knew the answers to.

"Just remember that Kartin weed and Boomslang skin react explosively together. Think "Ka" from Kartin and "Boom" from Boomslang. Ka boom. Explosive."

"Ka boom. Right," she said nodding her head vigorously. "Kartin and Boomslang are explosive. Ka boom. Ka boom. Ka boom."

Many students looked at Eloise oddly as they passed. She was walking down the corridor repeating the words "Ka boom" with each step, so Harry could understand. He stopped her at the point where he had to turn down another corridor.

"Listen, you'll do fine. You've as prepared as you can be, probably more so than the rest of the class, so just do your best. You just need to calm down. Think of something besides the test for the rest of the way, okay?" he said, giving his pre-test pep talk.

Eloise took a deep breath. "Okay. Calm is good. Harry what the hell can I think of besides the test?" she asked him desperately.

"Elwine! Hey Elwine!" a voice called.

The two looked up curiously toward the voice. Eloise's jaw dropped while Harry almost laughed in surprise. Roger Davies was making his way over. Eloise frantically smoothed down her hair.

"Hey Elwine," he said as he got to them, shooting her a smile. He looked at Harry. "You're Harry Potter, right? I heard about what Cho's been doing to you."

"Who hasn't?" Harry said with a weak grin.

"Don't worry. Everyone knows she's mad. She comes across so nice at first and then, wham, out comes this crazed beast," he said punching his fist into his hand at the "wham" to emphasize his point.

"Tell me about it," Harry said with a laugh.

Roger turned back to Eloise. "So, what's your next class, Elwine?"

Eloise blushed. "Actually, it's Eloise. I have potions."

"Oh I'm sorry. I could have sworn you told me Elwine, but it was so loud in there I also thought you said you were in Huffleclaw," he said with a laugh. Eloise laughed nervously, trying to hide her crimson face and avoid Harry's smiling eyes. "Anyways, my class right now was canceled so why don't I walk you to the dungeons?"

Eloise looked at him in awe. "Er...what? No. I mean yes! Yes!" she sputtered.

"Well, I have to run. Good luck on the test, Eloise!" he called as he walked backward down the hall.

She shot him a blank look. "Test?" She shrugged and walked off with Roger, positively glowing.

That evening, Harry knocked on Lupin's office door. It was immediately opened to reveal a grinning Sirius who swept Harry up into an affectionate hug.