8 - Punishment

"So, sneaking out in the middle of the night to see that family," he spat.

"It was an emergency..." Harry started but was slammed up against the wall by his uncle.

"I was getting worried that you wouldn't make another mistake, that I wouldn't be able to teach you your lesson. When I found you missing I sent the police away. Wouldn't want any reports of domestic disturbance, would we?" he sneered.

"Please, Uncle Vernon, I'm going back to school tomorrow. I'll be gone, out of your..." Harry was interrupted with being backhanded to the floor, splitting the cut on his cheek back open. His uncle stalked over and Harry tried to back away but couldn't seem to get into a standing position quickly enough. A boot connected with his stomach, stunning him. It hit again and again until...

"Vernon?"

With his uncle's foot on his chest pinning him to the floor, Harry looked over to see his Aunt Petunia at the top of the stairs looking sleepy.

"Aunt Petunia, help me, please! Get him off of me! I can't breathe!" His uncle's foot pushed harder on his chest and with the large amount that he weighed, Harry couldn't squirm away no matter how he tried.

"Vernon, the boy is going back to that school tomorrow..." his aunt began.

'Thank you!' Harry's mind screamed. 'She's going to talk some sense into him.'

"...don't mark up his face too much or they'll figure it out. I don't need those people banging on the doors."

Harry's face fell. This couldn't be happening. His uncle looked ready to kill him and his mother's own sister didn't even care.

"What's going on?" Dudley came into view beside his mother. At seeing the scene below, his eyes lit up like it was Christmas again. "Oh boy, can I watch mum? Oh please!"

"No Duddykins, not tonight. A growing boy like you needs his rest and I don't want you to have to see that horrid boy get what's coming to him."

Harry was stunned. Was this some kind of show for them? He knew that his aunt and cousin had known that he had been beaten during the summer, but didn't realize that they actually supported the idea.

After much arguing, Aunt Petunia ushered Dudley back to his room and herself went back to sleep.

Well I'm glad she can sleep so peacefully while her only nephew is getting murdered, he thought sarcastically.

Uncle Vernon now turned his attention back to Harry. Hatred was burning in his eyes. His jaw clenched as he put all of his weight on the foot pinning down Harry, grinding it into his chest.

Harry let out a scream of agony as he felt and heard some of his ribs snap. His head swam as he tried to breathe despite the stabbing pains when he inhaled. The pressure was finally released and Harry was forcibly dragged into standing position. He kicked his uncle in the knee and tried to get away but the only result was being thrown into the low glass table in the living room.

When his body hit it, the glass shattered. He felt shards of it digging into his back and felt cuts on the back of head. Harry moaned and tried to sit up but Uncle Vernon grabbed his foot and began dragging him away from the table, causing the glass to be pushed further into his back and cut his skin.

He screamed in agony, kicking out with his free foot at the arms holding his other one, making them eventually let go. He tried to wriggle away but was stopped by several kicks to the chest, connecting with his already broken ribs. Harry couldn't even scream now, just focusing on staying conscious and breathing. He started slipping in and out of consciousness, only vaguely aware of the end of the beating and being dragged back to and thrown into his cupboard, along with the clicking of the lock.