12 - The Dream

The next few days took much adjusting. Hermione and Ron were trying so hard to not act weird around Harry that they were achieving only the opposite. Any slight cough was responded to with worried glances and interrogations into his health. Harry finally gave them a lecture after Ron freaked out when Harry made a comment about needing to sit down. Being that they were in Charms and Professor Flitwick had just told them to take their seats, even Ron had to admit it was a little excessive.

Eventually, however, they got the hang of knowing when to be more worried than usual, which was still too often for Harry's liking, and Harry was able to refrain from snapping at the two when they badgered him about his health.

Harry was finding that he had his good days and his not so good days. Sometimes he could just feel his powers being, well, more powerful. Other days he'd feel tired and lose his appetite, but it was nothing too serious.

After another day of wowing the Defense class, this time with his ability to resist the effects of spells that did hit him, Lupin asked him to stay after class. Harry had always had a knack for Defense, but his increased abilities were now catching everyone's attention.

After class, he waved Hermione and Ron on and approached Lupin's desk. The professor wore a curious expression of excitement mixed with wonder and pride.

"Well, Harry, you have definitely proved yourself to have advanced abilities in Defense. I was impressed with you in your third year and your abilities and even power has obviously increased greatly since then, and even since the beginning of the year. I talked to some other professors who say you've been doing equally well in their classes, well, at least on some days. Anyway, I spoke with the headmaster and he agreed that it might benefit you to have some extra lessons in Defense to be able to use this power to its full potential," Lupin said with a smile.

"You mean you want to tutor me in Defense?" Harry asked incredulously. "Isn't that a lot of extra work for you?"

"It won't be that much extra work, and whatever it is I'm very willing. Every teacher loves a student who seems to be interested and talented in their subject. It will probably put you ahead of the class, and help you with your O.W.L.s later on, but more importantly, it should prepare you for more important things, since dangerous situations seem to always find you. I'm very eager to do this, but, of course, it's up to you whether you want the extra work or not. I know you're very busy with your other classes and Quidditch practices, but if you're up to squeezing an extra thing into your schedule about once a week, I want you to know that I think you have great potential," he said beaming with pride.

Harry wasn't sure what to do. He thought it sounded kind of interesting, and, being the number one person on the hit list of a madman, it seemed practical to buff up his dueling skills, but there was only one issue.

"Well, Professor, that sounds great, but even I'm not sure why I seem to have a knack for this lately. I seem to have some days where I'm better at it than others and you've just happened to see me on two of my good days."

"Hmm...well that seems peculiar, but I'd love to train you anyways. What do you say?"

Harry agreed.

That night at dinner, he explained his conversation with Lupin to Ron and Hermione.

"Harry, are you sure that's a good idea? I mean that's very physically demanding and I wouldn't want you to get any worse because of it," Hermione said.

"Don't worry, you guys, if I'm ever not feeling up to it, I'll just tell him I have a ton of homework or something. Besides, I think it might be handy in case Voldemort tries to knock me off prematurely." Ron flinched at the name, but had given up on trying to make Harry call him "You-Know-Who" a while ago. Hermione bit her lip.