13

The fair

I put aloe vera on Gen's legs, arms and back so she doesn't get bitten by bugs, pressing a kiss to forehead. I grab her little black shirt with her shorts and help her into them. I put on her mis-matching Dinosaurs Socks then her little black converses. I carry her to the bathroom to brush her hair and teeth.

"Mommy, can Spencer be my dad?" She asks when she finishes brushing her teeth.

"What do you mean Dove?" I close the bathroom door.

"Can Spencer be my Dad. I want to call him Daddy and go to the father daughter dance with him."

"We would have to see what he says first but I don't mind." I kiss her head, before brushing her hair into a low ponytail. I carry her into our bedroom and put her down. She runs over to him and hugs him.

"Gen" he grabs a back pack with a leash like thing on it. He covers her ears.

"There have been too many cases where kids get kidnapped from fairs. I'll be damned if someone tries to take my girl." He presses a kiss to her head and buckles the bag to her back. I smile at him as he checks the straps.

"You absolutely do not take this off. I will have a heart attack if you do." He says kissing her head. She nods softly as he hugs her.

"Daddy" she mumbles. I quickly pick her up from his arms and carry her out of the room.

"Bad Gen" She scolds hitting herself in the head. I grab her hand, restraining her.

"No baby, it's okay." I whisper kissing her temple. I go to the kitchen to grab her water bottle. I pack her epi pen in my purse along with my inhaler. I set her on the counter.

"Do you do that often?" I ask her referring to her hitting herself.

"Sometimes" She whispers

"You don't do that. Don't hit yourself baby. It's not okay to hit yourself. I know you think that you did something bad but you don't hit." I hug the crying child. Pressing kisses to her head.

"I love you so much Dove." She just cries. 

I pick her up carrying her to the car where Spencer sits waiting patiently. I put her in her seat pressing a kiss on her forehead.

"Dove, it's okay" I coo. Spencer looks at me before getting out of the car and walking around to our side.

"Princess" He coos picking her up from the seat.

"Why are you crying."

"I'm a bad dove." She sobs.

"Who told you that?" He looks at her.

"No body." She answers through a sob.

"So why do you think that?"

"Because" She looks at me before crying again.

"Did you say that to her?" He asks turning to me.

"No" I take a step back. His face remains in the slightly scary work face.

"Baby you aren't bad. You're my perfect princess, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I love you so very much. You're my wonderful, loving, beautiful dove. Your Mommy loves you too okay. You mean the world to us." He reaches for my hand pulling me to his side.

"I'm sorry" he whispers pressing a kiss to my temple. She cries in his arms. He holds her rocking her back and forth. She eventually falls asleep. I take her from his arms and put her in her seat. He pulls me into a hug.