And A Farewell...?

(🔵)

I had left the Gas Production Zone. I was nervous.
Why were they taking so long? What was happening? Had they been injured? Is it possible that they are dead?!

Oh God, oh God!
Maybe- No, we HAVE to look for them!

Oscar left the zone too. He stood next to me and it seemed like he was looking at me.

Oscar: Are you okay?

Maya: I'm fine...just worried about the others. They are taking a long time.

Oscar: Me too...I hope they come back. But don't worry, they'll be back sooner or later.

I looked at Oscar and hugged him. No one cared about me more than Oscar. Sometimes it surprises me to think that a boy who is months away from turning seventeen is more mature than me, who just turned thirty-three, who was always taking care of him and protecting him. I remembered when I took care of him like my son, I pampered him but without going overboard, when I got angry with him and yelled at him and then I ran to hug him, crying.
And now he's almost an adult.
What good times... how much I miss them...

Then Austin came out.
He was my twin brother. I loved him very much, because he was my brother; but as a person, I could tell him to go to hell.
We got along well as children. Our relationship went sour in adolescence. I don't blame our parents for it, but they had a hand in our relationships, especially because we didn't understand each other.
But now, I don't know, I consider that he is a better person. Maturity has mitigated the stubborn and protesting teenager from before, and he was now a shy man, somewhat unsociable, but very decisive and always fixed on his objectives.
I can't say that I admire him, because I don't admire him, I'm far from considering that; but this adventure has made me think that he is a better person now. That maybe we can think about how to reform our friendship...

Austin: Doing good?

Maya: No. They're taking too long.

Austin: Be patient, Mayita. They'll come sooner or later.

Maya: This is the last time you ever call me Mayita.

Austin: But you liked it when we were kids.

Maya: We're not kids.

Austin: If you say so.

Maya: And Kissy?

Oscar: She's in there. Maybe it's better for someone to stay inside her with her?

Austin: Myself.

Austin went back inside. Oscar and I stood outside, silent, until he spoke.

Oscar: I remember when I came down here with you.

Maya: Yes. What's that about?

Oscar: I don't know. It makes me happy to think about it. It was when I came with you that I was the happiest child in the world.

I smiled at him and stroked his hair, resisting the urge to hug him impulsively, since he was too old for such things and I had to treat him like an adult.
Suddenly, Oscar looked around.