Chapter 20 Dont Lie to Me

Talon made it to Dumbledore's office in minutes. She reached out to knock on the wooden door, but , as per usual, the door swung open before her knuckles grazed the wood. She entered the vast office and sat in one of the plush armchairs that were sitting in front of his desk.

"You wanted to see me, sir?"

Dumbledore shifted his gaze from a stack of papers on his desk to Talon's dull eyes.

"How are you, Talon? You don't look like you feel very well."

"I've definitely been better but that's not important right now. Why did you want to see me?"

"Ah but my dear your well being is exactly what I called you here to talk about."

Talon just looked at him and waited for him to continue. After being at Hogwarts all these years she had learned that Dumbledore hardly ever got straight to the point about anything.

"So, you, like many hundreds before you, have discovered the delights of the Mirror of Erised."

"I wouldn't necessarily call my experience with it delightful.."

"But I expect you've realized by now what it does."

"Sort of yeah. I asked Bane about it-that's where I was when I got Professor Snape's patronus - and he said that it shows us what our soul yearns for the most. Was he right?"

"Yes, precisely. The happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is. It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts. Now, onto more personal matters. If you-"

"No. I'm going to stop you right there. I don't want to talk about what I saw."

"Talon, just hear me out okay?"

"I said no!" Her voice broke at the end with all the emotion she put into her words and all the torches and candles in the room flickered at her outburst. Softer, but with no less emotion she said, "I don't want to talk about it. I feel like if I don't talk about it it'll be like it never happened."

"I know that you know better than that, Talon. Whatever you decide to do with what the mirror showed you is up to you. Just remember, I am here if you ever wish to talk."

"Thank you professor."

"However, the mirror will give us neither knowledge or truth. Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible.

"The mirror will be moved to a new home tomorrow and after tonight I ask you not to go looking for it again. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that. Now, I trust you remember the way?"

"Yes but I thought you said not to go looking for it again."

And there was that godsdamned twinkle in his eye again."I believe that there is someone there that you would like to see."

Talon caught the old wizard's meaning and took off like a bolt of lightning to the unused classroom.

Dumbledore watched her disappear down the spiral staircase and sighed. "Oh I do hope those two work things out; they both have such great things ahead of them."
*****
Talon arrived at the dark classroom out of breath and shaking from a mixture of nervousness and excitement. If who she thought was in there.. She just hoped he didn't start shouting at her as soon as she walked in the door..

Guess this is another reason I'm not a Gryffindor..

Talon was standing outside the classroom debating on going in or not. Finally, the curious side of her won and she quietly pushed the door open.

She had cast another silencing charm on the bottom of her vans mid-run so she didn't wake the whole castle up running around so now, her footfalls weren't heard by the man standing alone in front of the mirror.

Talon walked further into the room and watched her professor as he stared disbelievingly into the mirror. She had no idea what he was seeing but she could tell he was shocked and not too pleased with whatever it was.

She suddenly felt very bold and she took the last few steps into the room and spoke despite her trembling hands and quivering voice. "Tell me. Tell me what you see."

Snape turned his head to face her. His eyes looked like there was a fire burning in his soul. A fire that was burning him alive.

"And who do you think you are, coming in here after curfew and demanding things of me?"

"Cut it out will you? Dumbledore told me-"

"Dumbledore needs to keep his damn nose out of other people's business! As do you!"

"Please, just tell me what you see. I didn't come here to fight with you."

"Why do you care what I see anyway you insolent girl."

Talon sighed. "You wouldn't believe me even if I told you."

"Try me."

"Earlier when I was on my way to the forest I found Harry and Ron walking around looking for something so I followed them and this is where they led me. They both told me what they saw and I'm just curious to know what you see." Here we go.. "Because when I look into that mirror I see you. Well, us. I don't know what that means exactly but I talked to Bane and the headmaster and-"

Snape looked taken aback for a moment before he took a step toward Talon and plastered a nasty sneer on his face. "Don't lie to me."

"I am many things but a liar is not one of them. What in the world would I gain from lying about this?"

"I am not about to stand here and be lied to. Our extra lessons are cancelled and I will no longer be needing your assistance during my lessons with the first years. I'm leaving."

He turned to leave but Talon threw her hands up and a wall of flames erupted in front of the arched doorway. "Will you please just listen to what I'm saying??"

Professor Snape turned to face the exasperated witch but didn't deign to say a word.

"I don't know why I see you when I look into that damn mirror but I do. That has to mean something. Why, with everything that has happened to me, its you that my soul yearns for the most. Tell me what you see. Please."

"If you must know I guess I will tell you. I look into that mirror and I see myself walking out of this door and away from you. All this is is some stupid girlish fantasy of yours and I refuse to be a part of it. Now, take down that ridiculous wall you conjured before I'm forced to use necesarry force."

In the blink of an eye Talon's flames disappeared without her even raising a finger. Snape made it to the threshold before she spoke. "Just so you know, I don't believe you. Not a word of it. But all the same, don't expect me to hang around while you brood about whatever girl broke your heart."

Talon walked by him and out the door and didn't look back once.