Chapter 2 The Sorting Hat

Talon sat on the very end of the Slytherin table close to where the newly sorted first years would probably sit. It wasn't that she was an outcast, she definitely had people she was friendly with, she just didn't go out of her way to force friendships with people she didn't really click with. Term hadn't even technically started yet and she was already stressed. The bookshop that she worked at in Diagon Alley was closing; some bigshot joke shop had bought the lot for a ridiculous amount of money. If I can't work I can't pay rent.. If I can't pay rent that horrid beast of a land lady will kick me out, no questions asked. Sighing, Talon rested her chin in her hands and zoned out, calculating exactly how much she could spend monthly on necessities.

When she, mentally, came back to the Great Hall she noticed that she hadn't been staring at nothing like she had hoped. She had been staring a hole into Professor Snape and he had most definitely noticed. The glare he was giving her was a mix between his usual anger and bewilderment. Talon hurriedly cast her eyes down, blushing furiously. Bloody hell. I need to get a grip.

Just then, the huge double doors opened and Professor McGonagall strode in, a horde of terrified first years following behind her like sheep trailing after Little Bo Peep. By the looks on some of their faces it seemed they thought it to be more like a lamb to slaughter.

McGonagall instructed the first years to "wait here," and she stepped up on the platform next to the four-legged stool that the sorting hat was sitting upon. Then, the hat burst into song.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be,
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Huffllepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (although I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The whole hall applauded and the hat bowed to each table in turn before falling still again. Professor McGonagall stepped forward and pulled a long sheet of parchment from in her robes and began calling names.

"Abbot, Hannah!"

"Hufflepuff!"

"Bones, Susan!"

"Hufflepuff!"

"Boot, Terry!"

"Ravenclaw!"

After Brown, Lavender became the first new Gryffindork, Talon laid her head down on the table. She could feel a headache coming on and she had forgotton to replenish her store of pain relieving potions. Still quite aware of her surroundings, Talon continued to listen to the sorting. Slytherin had gotten quite a few new additions including the malevolent spawn of Malfoy Sr. I'll have to keep a close eye on that one if he's anything like the rest of his family.

Talon was seriously considering taking a cat nap when McGonagall shouted, "Potter, Harry!"

Her dark head snapped up and she watched Harry step forward. Whispers broke out like wildfire throughout the entire hall.

"Potter, did she say?"

"The Harry Potter?"

Talon watched on nervously, the hat was on young Harry's head much longer than anyone elses'. She knew if he was sorted into Slytherin she could watch over him but then again she didn't want him to become tainted like almost the whole lot of Slytherin house.. She wasn't sure why she felt such a strong pull to him. She just knew he was someone she needed to protect.

Another excruciating moment passed and the old patched hat screamed out, "Gryffindor!"

The noise in the Great Hall was deafening. He had received the loudest applause out of anyone. After the noise died down McGonagall continued on with the ceremony. Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin all recieved a few more new students and the youngest Weasley boy Talon had met on the train was sorted into Gryffindor with the rest of his family. Talon rolled her blue eyes. Surprise surprise. Another Weasley in Gryffindor."

After the feast was over Talon escorted the first year Slytherins to the entrance to the common room and explained that NO ONE. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE FROM ANY OTHER HOUSE WAS ALLOWED IN.

After she made sure they were good and terrified, she showed them to their dorms. After that menial job was finished, she grabbed the book she'd been meaning to finish, Clockwork Prince, and settled herself in a plush, emerald green armchair by the fire. She still had a few hours until she was supposed to be patrolling the corridors, so until then she would dive into the Shadow World.