TWENTY ONE

Jennie received a call from Jisoo while we were having breakfast, telling her she wouldn't be home until Sunday

Jennie received a call from Jisoo while we were having breakfast, telling her she wouldn't be home until Sunday. With the storm still all around us, we assured her she was welcome to stay until she came to pick her up the next day. There was no other option. Besides, she made Roseanne laugh, and I liked hearing the sound. I wanted to make it happen more often.

The three of us went to see Penny while the storm simmered, low and tame. I insisted on cheeseburgers, letting it slip how often I snuck them in for her. Roseanne was shocked to realize the number of times I'd been to the home without saying a word. Her eyes shone with appreciation when she stretched up and kissed me, catching me off guard. I yanked her close and took full advantage of the fact we had a captive audience with Jennie, kissing her until she was pink-cheeked and embarrassed. Jennie caught my eye with a wink as I accepted the heavy bag of burgers with a wide grin.

Penny was quiet but lucid when we arrived. She laughed at my offering of grapes for Joey. He liked to pick at them, and I didn't have to cut up anything or bribe Sana to do it for me. The chocolate shop I frequented certainly had a boom in sales the past few weeks, and the staff looked forward to what I brought each visit. I never disappointed them.

Jennie was more like her usual self, bubbly and chatty, entertaining Penny with stories of her family. It gave me the chance to sit back and watch Roseanne with Penny. She sat next to her, holding her hand. She would cup her cheek, run her hand over Penny's forehead, smoothing away the flyaway hairs as she talked or laughed. She teased and encouraged Penny to eat, tucking a napkin under her chin as she scolded her for being messy. Penny tweaked her nose back. "You stop being so bossy, my Rosie."

"She is bossy," I muttered. "She tells me what to do all the time."

"Payback," Roseanne mused.

"That's what wives are for!" Jennie laughed.

Both Roseanne and I froze. We had never mentioned being married to Penny. Our gazes met over her head, unsure what to do next.

Penny sat up, her lunch forgotten. She looked between us. "You're married?" She turned to Roseanne. "You got married, and you didn't tell me? Rosie, are you pregnant?"

Roseanne shook her head. "No, Penny. I'm not pregnant."

"But you're married."

"Yes."

Penny looked at me, pushing away her lunch tray. "I'd like to speak to my daughter in private."

---

I paced the hall, my eyes on the closed door. With a groan, I slumped against the wall, letting my head fall back on the hard surface.

"Lisa, I'm sorry," Jennie pleaded. "I had no idea she didn't know. It never occurred to me she wouldn't have been told."

"Of course it wouldn't."