THIRTY-SIX

The familiar ache formed by degrees in my head, my eyes became heavy, my shoulders and neck sore

The familiar ache formed by degrees in my head, my eyes became heavy, my shoulders and neck sore. I stared out the window at the gathering storm, wondering if I would make it home before it and the massive headache hit.

The three raps that Amy always used sounded like gunshots to my aching head. I slouched back against the cool leather of my chair, shutting my eyes.

"Come," I called as loudly as I dared.

"Do you need anything, Lisa?"

I didn't bother to lift my head. "Can you cancel Board Tech?"

"I already did."

"Great. You might as well take off the rest of the afternoon, Amy. I'm going to be useless."

"Can I do anything else?"

I sighed, keeping my eyes closed. "If it wouldn't offend you, a cup of coffee and a couple of pain relievers would be appreciated. If you can get my wife on the phone, it would be great."

Her chuckle was low. "I think I can handle it, Lisa."

"Thank you."

She left, and I rubbed my temples. I knew when I spoke with Rosie, she would tell me to leave my car and grab a cab home. I also knew, when I got there, she would have cold compresses, much stronger pain pills, and her soothing touch to make the headache ease. I only had to get to her. The coffee and Tylenol Amy brought me would help until then.

I heard footsteps, felt pills pressed into my hand, and the smell of coffee hit my nose.

It wasn't Amy's voice that met my ears, however. "Drink."

I swallowed the pills gratefully and reached out blindly for my wife's hand.

"What are you doing here? You aren't scheduled to be in today."

"Amy called and said you were off this morning. She thought you had one of your headaches coming on, so I came to take you home. I intercepted her on her way back from the lounge."

With a groan, I bent forward, burying my head into Rosie's stomach. The icy temperature of the compress felt good as she draped it across my neck and ran her fingers through my hair.

"We'll give the pills a bit to kick in, then I'll take you home."

"Okay."

"You should have called earlier," she scolded gently. "You know how these low-pressure storms affect you."

"I had work to do," I protested, tightening my arms around her waist, wanting her closer.

"And how much did you accomplish?"

"Not a lot."

"Good plan, then," she teased.

"Go fuck yourself, Manoban," I muttered, using her favorite phrase.