TWENTY-SEVEN

I stared out the window overlooking the vast property

I stared out the window overlooking the vast property. Memories of bringing Roseanne here the first day flitted through my head. How nervous and anxious we both had been. How well she played her part. My gaze swept over to the deck. Remembering our wedding dinner, my chest became tight. She had looked so pretty, felt so right in my arms when we danced. The day, which should have been nothing but another piece of my plan, had been a joyful one.

Had I loved her then?

“Lisa.”

I turned to face Graham. He held out a steaming cup of coffee. “I thought you could use this.”

I took the mug with a silent nod and turned back to the window. My thoughts were jumbled and confused. I had no idea how to start this conversation, but I knew I had to have it. I needed to wipe the slate clean, then figure out my next move.

Taking in a deep lungful of air, I turned back to Graham. He was leaning on his desk, feet crossed, sipping his coffee. He was his normal, calm self, yet the look on his face was intense.

“I don’t know where to start,” I admitted.

“The beginning is usually the best.”

I wasn’t certain what the beginning was in this instance. The real reason I left Anderson Inc.? The arrangement I made with Roseanne? The hundreds of lies and deceptions that followed?

“Which is how, exactly?”

“Why did Rosie leave you, Lisa?”

I shrugged, feeling helpless. “I don’t know. Maybe because she didn’t know how I really felt about her?”

“Which is how, exactly?”

“I love her.”

“Your wife didn’t know you loved her?”

“No.”

“I think you’ve found your beginning.”

I nodded grimly, knowing he was correct.

“I lied to you.”

“Which part?”

I sat down, putting my coffee mug on the table. If I held it, I would either smash it in between my tightly clenched fists or throw the whole thing, contents and all, at the wall. Neither boded well for a civilized conversation — not that this was going to be.

“All of it. It was all a lie.”

Graham sat across from me, crossing his legs. He ran his fingers down the crease of his trousers, then looked up.

“You lied to me to get the job at The Kim Group?”

“Yes.”

“Tell me why.”

“I was passed up for partner, and I wanted to piss David off. I wanted out, but I wanted to stay here, in Victoria. I like it here. I heard about the opening at Kim and I wanted in.”