THIRTY-FOUR

I carried the tray to the kitchen, leaving Irene and Rosie talking

I carried the tray to the kitchen, leaving Irene and Rosie talking. Graham followed me, carrying the box and waited so we could go into the den and talk more. He glanced at the papers on the counter, picking up the job listing for Calgary.

“Really, Lisa?” He smirked. “You would have died of boredom there.”

“I couldn’t take Rosie to Toronto. She’d be miserable.”

He studied me for a moment, a smile crossing his face. “How you’ve changed.”

“Grown up, you mean.”

He nodded, clapping me on the shoulder. “It’s good to see.”

I glanced over his shoulder to where Rosie was standing, hugging Irene. “It feels good,” I admitted. “I never thought it was something I would experience.”

“The right person can open our eyes to many things, Lisa.”

He was right.

He held out my new contract. “Let’s go sign some papers.”

“Why did you bring my things if you planned on rehiring me?”

A strange look crossed his face, and he flipped open the lid. “The box is empty, Lisa.”

I gaped at him. “What? Why then?”

“The same reason we showed up unannounced. I wanted to see how you would act if you thought it was over. I wanted to see your real, gut reaction. Not one you had planned in advance.”

“And?”

“You looked shattered.”

“I was. I wanted to keep working for you. When I saw the box, I knew I’d fucked it beyond repair. I wasn’t surprised, but it hit me right then, how much I wanted it. I knew there was nothing I could do to fix it. I had done it to myself after all.”

“Your reaction told me everything I needed to know. You were upset, yet you immediately reached out to comfort Rosie. I knew you had really changed.” He grinned. “Sorry for the subterfuge.”

I stuck out my hand, which he took, shaking it hard. “I understand.”

He flipped the lid shut. “Use it and bring a few more things into the office. Make it yours, Lisa.”

“Does anyone know?”

“Outside the family, no. The staff thinks you’ve been off with Rosie. You come in on Monday and start again. No one else is the wiser.”

“Thank you. I won’t let you down this time.”

“I know,” he said and nodded emphatically. “I know.”

---

A short while later, Graham shook my hand goodbye. “I’ll see you Monday.”

Irene gave Rosie one last hug, then turned to me. “We expect great things of you, Lisa.”