TWENTY-EIGHT

In the hallway, Irene stopped us

In the hallway, Irene stopped us. She looked up at me, a frown on her face.

“I was listening by the door, Lisa.”

“Okay.”

“I heard almost everything.”

I dropped my gaze, hers too intense to meet any longer.

“You lied to me. To my family.”

“Yes.”

“So did Rosie.”

My head shot up. “Because I made her, Irene. She hated it. She hated the fact she had to lie in the first place, but once she got to know you, she loathed it.” I stepped forward. “She did this to make sure Penny was looked after and had a safe home. She... she became so fond of you, of all of you, this ruse ate her up inside.” I gripped the back of my neck, wrenching on the tense muscles. “I think it was the main reason she left. She couldn’t take the lies anymore.”

“Was it still a lie when she left?”

“No,” I admitted. “I love her. I’m lost without Rosie.” I swung my gaze to Graham and back to her. “That’s why I had to tell you. I needed a clean slate, no matter what else happens. I needed you to understand this was all on me. Not her. If I leave town, and she comes back, I hope you’ll forgive her. She’s going to be all alone.”

Irene smiled. “You’ve grown, Lisa. Your first thought now is Rosie and her well-being.”

“It should have always been.”

She squeezed my hand. “Find your wife. Tell her the truth. I think you’ll find you aren’t the only one who’s lost.”

My chest constricted. I wanted to believe—to believe she loved me, too. That she ran because she needed to figure out her next step. I needed to find her so she understood she didn’t have to make it alone.

“I want that.”

Graham spoke up. “Then work for it. Earn it. Figure out your personal life. Once you do, we’ll discuss your professional one. As of this moment, you’re on leave until we talk again. You aren’t fired, but your future isn’t set in stone, either.”

“I understand.”

I had expected to be fired instantly. Thrown out of his house. No matter the outcome, or how difficult it would be, a future discussion was more than I deserved.

“Thank you,” I stated sincerely.

I followed him to the car reflecting that without Rosie there, it wasn’t my home. It was the place where I lived. Wherever she was right now, that was my home. Beside her. I had to find her and bring her back. Then I could call it home again.

---

After Graham dropped me off, I wandered the condo, unsure where to start. On the coffee table was the file holding all Rosie’s color swatches and ideas for the place. She had added to the list for my bedroom, her little sketches included rearrangement of the furniture and color on the walls. She was talented. I had noticed but had never told her that, though I should have. There were many thoughts I should have shared.