THIRTY-THREE

The condo was silent when we arrived. I set down our bags and looked at the mess I had left behind.

"I should have cleaned up. I was anxious to get to you."

She walked around, picking up a couple bottles. "You need to stop drinking so much scotch."

The words were out before I could stop them. "You need to stop leaving me."

Her eyes widened.

I ran my hand through my hair. "Shit. Home five minutes and the asshole comes out."

"I'm going to give you that one. I shouldn't have run. I should have stayed and talked it out with you."

Reaching out, I brought her into my arms. "You had no reason to trust me, then. I'll make sure you won't have that excuse next time. Not," I added, "that there is going to be a next time."

She nuzzled close. "No."

"Then we're good?"

"Yep."

Glass crunched under my feet when I moved, and I looked down with a grimace. "Careful."

"Another asshole moment?"

"A big one," I acknowledged. "I was angry at you-but it passed quickly."

"I think you were allowed."

"I'll get someone in to clean up."

She shook her head with a grin. "It's not bad. We can get it done fast." Bending, she picked up her bag. "But you're ordering dinner and doing the dishes."

I grabbed my bag, following her through the condo. "There you go-issuing orders."

"Get used to it." She turned her head and winked.

I swatted her ass, causing her to yelp and try to hurry ahead of me. She tripped, almost falling on the steps, except I lunged, catching her around the waist. "Sorry, sweetheart. I forgot about your leg. Are you okay?"

She wrapped her arms around my neck. "I'm fine. You can carry me the rest of the way, though."

Lifting her, I captured her mouth with mine and kept it there all the way to our room. Inside the doorway, I set her on her feet, releasing her lips. "Welcome home, Mrs. Manoban."

She smiled up at me, running her fingers along my bangs. "Your bangs are a bit longer than normal."

"I'll cut them tomorrow."

"I kinda like it."

"Then I'll leave it."

Rising on the balls of her feet, she pressed a kiss to my cheek. "Okay." She glanced around. "Where do you want to start?"

I sat down on the mattress, pulling her beside me. "I didn't change the sheets. They smelled like you-like us, and I couldn't... " My voice trailed off. "I couldn't."

"I'm here now."

"I know." I stood up. "I'll get your things. I want them back in here. They never should have left."

"We weren't ready. We are now."

"Yep."

"All right, then. Let's get started."

---

I stepped out of the shower, toweling my hair. Entering the bedroom, I looked around with a low sigh. Rosie had moved in. Her clothes were in the closet and dresser, her lotions and skincare things in the bathroom beside mines. Her bedside table held her books, and her scent was already in the air. She'd been a little shocked when she saw the mess I had made in her room, but she had it straightened while I carried things back and forth.