2.6 Escape from the Dragon

Hespera walked back into the goddesses' throne room. She held up the golden apple for them to see. A smile appeared across their faces.

Anne: Hespera.

They took in the apple. It glistened in the firelight surrounding them.

Anne: It's over, sisters. Now we can plant the seed and restore our realm.

Kalypso: Or we plant it in their realm.

Anne looked at her sister, stunned. Kalypso took the apple and placed it on a pedestal near their thrones.

Anne: But that would destroy their world.

Kalypso: Just as they destroyed ours.

Hespera: You can't be serious.

Kalypso: Yes.

Anne: No. No, that's not what we agreed to.

Kalypso: Anthea, you simpering bore. 

Hespera: She's right, we've spent ages waiting for this moment.

Anne: We have the seed. We have the staff and its powers.

Hespera: We are not squandering it for your personal satisfaction.

On the other side of the room, Freddy and the wizard creaked open the large door. They looked on at the sisters arguing with one another. The apple was left unguarded. They had to retrieve it before it could be planted in their world. Freddy was about to go when the wizard grabbed his arm.

Wizard: No, I should go, not you.

Freddy: Look, I know what you're thinking. The kid with the crutch doesn't exactly sing "sneak thief." But here's the deal. Your knees crack like crazy when you walk. It's pathetic.

The wizard stood up straight from his hunched position. There was an audible crack in his knee. 

Freddy: See?

The old man nodded and looked at the boy in front of him.

Wizard: Fortune be with you, Freddy.

Freddy smiled upon hearing him finally say his name correctly.

Freddy: What did you just call me?

Wizard: Freddy. Freddy Freeman. 

Freddy: That's it. You nailed it. I'll see you on the other side.

Freddy snuck through the door and began to creep along the side of the room. He held up his crutch and rolled on the ground over a set of steps. Pulling himself up, he inched closer to the thrones where the seed was kept. The daughters of Atlas continued to bicker among themselves. 

Hespera: Even if we did, the Tree of Life would not thrive in their soil

Hespera: Even if we did, the Tree of Life would not thrive in their soil. It would despoil, it would disfigure into something...

Kalypso: Monstrous? That is what humans are. It is only fitting that we bring our monsters to their world and do to them as they did to us.