2.7 Tree of Death

Ladon soared over the city and landed in the middle of the Citizens Bank Park baseball stadium. With the seed in hand, Kalypso dismounted her terrible beast. She looked around at the stadium around her. A place of grass and nature surrounded by a manmade stadium of steel and concrete.

Kalypso: Fitting place for a garden.

She bent down and shoved the golden fruit into the ground. She then stepped back and watched the magic happen. Within seconds, the seed sprouted. Gigantic roots and vines broke forth from the ground. They reached towards the sky, forming a hideous trunk. The tree soon sprouted branches and a series of sickly, drooping leaves. 

The roots of the tree plowed through the ground and tore up the stadium

The roots of the tree plowed through the ground and tore up the stadium. It didn't take long for them to spread into the city. The roads and pavement cracked and burst open as large roots spread throughout Philadelphia. The sides of buildings were covered in the dark brown vines that wrapped around every structure they could find.

 The sides of buildings were covered in the dark brown vines that wrapped around every structure they could find

Citizens watched in terror as vehicles were flipped and crushed under the spreading roots. Then, it stopped. The roots halted their growth. Concerned citizens looked around at the destruction around them. However, the worse was yet to come.

Along the roots, large sacks were placed around. Some of the citizens approached the sacks. They noted how the large, red growths began to pulse and gurgle. Then, the sacks began to burst open like eggs hatching.

From the sticky sap of the sacks emerged a monstrous creature. It had the body of a lion, the head of a crocodile, the wings of a bat, and the tail of a scorpion. The creature roared out while citizens screamed and tried to flee in terror. The creature used its tail to grab someone's back and throw her into a store window.

All across town, similar creatures were emerging from the sacks. Disgusting birdlike harpies emerged. They took to the skies, screeching. They grabbed those who tried to run away from them and carried them high into the air before dropping them.

Minotaurs and cyclopeses emerged across town. They grabbed cars and crushed them under their feet. Some began chasing helpless civilians. The creatures roamed the chaotic streets, turning everything in their path to ruin.