Chapter 17 - The Draft Table

If there was one thing, Grandpa Arnie liked to talk about more than his time in Vietnam, it was his life after the war as an architect. Though he had a boastful nature, to begin with even Gordie had to concede he had been really good at his job. It was Grandpa Arnie who headed the repairs and drew the designs when he had moved back to Piedmont Street to return the house to its former glory. The backyard notwithstanding of course.

Yet the draft table remained in Gordie's room until one day when he got an idea.

"Grandpa Arnie," Gordie had asked, "How would you feel about giving away the draft table?"

"I'm not throwing it away," he crowed, "If you don't want it in your room anymore, put it in the garage."

"I'm not talking about getting rid of it. I asked if you would be willing to give it away."

"You mean sell it?"

"Not exactly, it would be more of a gift."

"To whom?"

"Bryant. He is a really good artist. I think he would get a lot of use out of it. I'm not using it and you can't anymore, so wouldn't it be better if someone did?"

"You think he'll want it?"

Gordie nodded.

"Okay, ask him then."

The next day when Bryant was over, Gordie brought him to his room.

"Grandpa Arnie says I can move the draft table if I don't want it."

"Yeah? You need some help carrying it out to the garage?" Bryant asked.

"Actually, I was thinking of moving it somewhere else."

"Oh yeah? Where?"

"Your house."

"My house!" Bryant cried surprised, "Why?"

"Because you need it. You're the artist. It's just collecting dust here. Don't you want it?"

"You would just give it to me?"

"Sure."

"And Grandpa Arnie said this was, okay?" Bryant asked suspiciously.

"Yep, all cleared by him."

Bryant walked over to the draft table and ran his hand along it, "Wow, thanks Gordie. I guess now I have to draw that portrait of Lina."

Gordie smiled, "She would probably be okay with one of Nick Jonas too."

Bryant frowned, "I don't do guys."

Gordie laughed. "It doesn't matter. Lina will like anything you draw for her."

"You think?"

"For sure. Of course, I do spend a lot of time talking to a girl I've never met so you might not want to take my word for it."

"How is that going by the way?" Bryant asked curiously, "You ready to meet her yet?"

"It's not that I'm not ready, I'm just waiting for the right time." Even to Gordie that sounded like a lame excuse. "It's complicated," he added, "Especially since her mom might be getting out of prison soon."

"But you like her right?" Bryant asked.

"Yeah."

"So, what are you waiting for? Just ask her to meet before you miss your chance and then regret it."

Gordie knew Bryant was right but first he needed to hear how Caroline's visit with her mom went. Then he would make his move.