Chapter 6

As soon as they left the cafeteria, Dean dropped Cas's hand. The sudden emptiness felt like a small jab in his stomach.

They made their way back to the cabin in silence, neither really knowing what to say.

Dean had made plans with the TV and a bottle of beer, whereas Cas was ready to snuggle into the bed and read for a little while. Neither interrupting or including the other.

They reached the porch and Dean pulled the key from out of his pocket, unlocked the door and walked straight in.

Cas stood on the porch, admiring the place. If only they were there on different circumstance, if only Dean and himself were not pretending. But there was work to be done and it wouldn't help to lose reality, no matter how tempting.

He pulled himself out of his thoughts and stepped inside. Reality was all he had, reality would have to do.

"Do you want a beer, Cas?" "No, I'm going upstairs to read." He replied as he reached the stairs. However before he took a step more he turned to face Dean, sensing awkwardness.

"What's wrong Dean?" He asked the hunter who was stood by the wall that split the kitchen and the living room. "Are we going to be sleeping in the same bed?" Cas cocked his head before replying "Will that be a problem?" "It's just that you're my friend and I don't want things to be awkward, I mean do you even sleep?"

If he was honest to himself, Cas felt an unpleasant feeling in the pit of his stomach. Dean not wanting to be near him hurt a little, but he ignored that feeling. "I shall grab two pillows and lie on the sofa." And with that he walked up stairs.

The cream room looked very inviting to Cas and he wanted nothing more than to wiggle under the covers and read, but he restrained himself.

He grabbed two pillows from the bed and changed into his p.js. He turned to the bookshelf to pick up a book he had seen earlier: All The Bright Places. The title did not give much away but he was interested all the same.

Sighing he turned and made his way back downstairs. When he arrived he saw that Dean was sat on the chair watching the Doctor sexy that he often talked about.

Cas placed the pillows onto the sofa before sitting down himself and watching the TV too. "This is a very good program Dean, I can see why you enjoy it." was Castiel's way of trying to start a conversation but he only got a grunt in return.

There was a knock on the door at around 11. Dean was ingrosed in the TV and showed no sign of moving so Cas got up to unlock the door.

He opened it to a tired looking girl in her mid twenties. "Hi I'm Jo, one of your counsellors. I'm just checking in to make sure you've settled in properly and that everything is okay. Are you Castiel or Dean?" "I'm Cas, this is Dean." Cas said opening the door wider "Everything seems to be in order then- Is one of you sleeping down here?"

Cas shuffled a little "I am yes, will that be a problem?" Jo looked up at him and saw a sad look in his eyes. "Things that bad, huh?" Not being able to keep eye contact with her looked down to where he had been absently messing with his ring. "Well today is what Tuesday? We will talk about this on... Friday then. I recommend that you go to the group meeting tomorrow, actually if you don't I'll be pissed and come look for you." She said sternly.

Cas had only met Ellen once but he thought Jo was very much like her. "We'll do our best to be there. Thank you for coming Jo, goodnight." He closed the door and turned to see that Dean had gotten up and switched off the TV.

"I'm going to hit the hay, I'll be up by 9ish so you'll have 10 hours to yourself to do whatever. Goodnight Cas." and with that he was gone. Castiel sighed realising that Dean didn't know he also needed to sleep but he was gone before Cas could mention it.