Chapter 42

The days seemed long, for everyone, especially Dean. It was his problem and for the first time in his life he was having to fully rely on the people around him. He was not used to this. He would never ever ask so many people to help him, but he didn't ask, the choice had been taken away from him.

Everyone could see his frustration, but he was trying. It wasn't that he was ungrateful (he was the opposite: overwhelmed so many would choose to help him), it was that while people worked round to clock to help him all he could do was lie there. Dean would sit and smile and chat with whoever came. After the first day or so he stopped asking how it was going because it was always the same answers: "think we are getting somewhere today", "we are trying something new today, see what happens", "if we had something, we would of told you. Idjit."

Cas provided the most comfort. They would chill and catch up. Cas had recently decided to try cooking, mostly pies. Mostly anything Dean has ever mentioned he enjoyed. This always brought a smile to Dean's face. Cas had tried sleeping there too and although it wasn't uncomfortable for Dean (because he couldn't feel anything), he could tell Cas was not sleeping and was always aching, so he made him sleep at home.

Sam was also a big help, but Sam was always a big help to Dean. They watched movies while Sam read the lore or a spell book or whatever else he had found. They bickered and joked but at the end of every visit Dean would see a flash of Sam's sad smile before he left.

The days turned into weeks. People would visit to chat, to update, to try new things. In and out, in and out. All while Dean sat and watched the world go by. Meg  and Jo would sneak in beer for him and Charlie would bring in mini contraptions she had made to help Dean feel a bit more independent. He was getting all the gossip, all the information, all the attention but he still felt alone. Because as much as people came, people left. 

It caught him by surprise one night, after Castiel had left, that Gabe showed up. Gabriel had never been alone, always with Sam or Ellen or Jo. Before or after the accident, they had never really spent time alone. It was weird. 

"Hope you don't mind..." "No not at all, what's up?" Dean interrupted. Gabe sat down. He had brought a coffee for Dean. "I got you this, but the look on your face says I shouldn't of?" Dean sighed and gave Gabe an awkward smile, "I already have enough trouble trying to sleep, I don't think coffee will help me too much." He could tell Gabe looked like he was about to run, so he nodded at the TV (a cool trick Charlie had set up for him so that if he nodded it would turn on or off, wasn't ideal when Dean was generally nodding in conversation though...) and turned his head to Gabe. "You and I have never once had a conversation alone, that wasn't one of us threatening the other." He stated.

Gabe shrugged, "I wanted to talk to you, about Sam." Dean squinted, "what about Sam?" After a few beats Gabriel sat up a bit straighter, "okay, i am just gonna say it. All jokes aside, I like Sam. It was a bit of harmless flirting at first but I was drawn to him. I don't know what it is. He knows though, Sam he does this smirk sometimes when I say something, like he knows I can't help but be near him. He seems like he likes me too, has he said anything? Maybe i shouldn't ask that, you are his brother, but has he? Out of all the humans I have met and shagged, He is so different. He is always on my mind. At first I thought it was just the chase but now we are closer it can't have been. Jo and Ellen have both told me I'm a teenager in love but I'm older than the planet. I tried to talk to Meg, as she would be impartial, she told me to piss off though. So worst case scenario, you. You know him. Give an angel a bit of help."

"You have shagged my brother?!"

Playful Gabe came out in a smirk, "listen Dean-o that was not supposed to be the bit you focus on." He took a second before saying "I need your help, please."

Dean took three minutes to process. Gabriel let him. The arch angel was a little scared that if he interrupted Dean would explode. He briefly thought about trying it, just to see if it would jolt Dean's body away, but if that happened, Dean's first actions might of been to strangle him. 

3 minutes and 26 seconds later, dean finally spoke up. "If you are serious about him, serious about how you feel about him, and you think he is too. Go for it." Gabe couldn't help but feel a little deflated by this, "could you maybe, I dont know, give me bit more?" Dean shot him a glare, "Sam gets a smile on his face when he talks about you, I have only ever seen that smile the first hunt we did when I picked him up from law school. It was when he talked about Jess. He does like you. Tell him you are serious, show him you mean it. If you hurt him-" "yeah, I know, you will kill me, I get it. You know you are currently paralysed though?" That got a smile out of Dean. 

They chatted for a little bit (avoiding certain, uncomfortable topics), until light starting coming through the blinds. Dean felt normal. It was the first time in a long time that he felt like himself. 

Gabriel was just getting up to leave, when Charlie bursts in, "I THINK I HAVE DONE IT!"