Chapter 40

"Look, I'm sorry Castiel, but you must of imagined it."

As soon as Cas had heard his name, he jumped awake. He tried to get more out of Dean, but with no luck. He then begged him. He needed to know for sure that Dean had said his name. But Dean just lay there, silent. Castiel knew he had spoken, he's an angel for god's sake, he remembers everything, he is rarely wrong. Which is why, after 15 minutes are pleading Dean to mutter one more syllable, he rang Sam.

Cas huffed, "he said my name. I heard him. I don't just make stuff up!" He was annoyed that he wasn't believed, but... what proof did he have.

Sam put his hand on Castiel's shoulder, "we're all over doing it Cas, we're all tired. I think we've been hoping that hard that something happens that your mind played tricks on you. Look at him, Dean is in a coma basically, there's no way he could of spoken."

Cas knew Sam meant his words to be kind but they were swimming in pity.

Sam had always believed Cas. It was always Dean who picked him apart. If it was Dean speaking right now, Cas would of probably stormed out, but it wasn't. Dean was in a coma. Cas had to prove, convince, Sam he had heard him. Dean speaking was a spark of hope.

He thought about it for a second more, then it hit him: Sam is scared of false hope. If Dean spoke, he might again, he might open his eyes, he might get up. But if he doesn't then that would crush Sam more than before. Sam is just trying to manage his expectations. 

Cas forced a smile, Dean would need him to look after Sam right now (he would kick Castiel's arse if he didn't). "It's okay Sam, you know how Dean is, he takes it all in his own time." this earned him a small smile off of the hunter, "yeah i know, buddy." The boys chatted for a few moments longer before Cas handed over the shift and left Dean's room. 

The angel felt in a daze as soon as he left the room. Time was taking longer than it ever had, and Cas had been through all of it. Everything was taking longer now. Waiting for Dean was something that Cas had become very accustomed to whilst hunting. It was normal to run off of Dean's clock, everything was in his time. But this was different. Every time before Cas was certain Dean was coming back.

Sam hovered for a moment before sitting down next to Dean's bed. He had a book (which he wouldn't read) and a coffee (that would go cold... like the last 12) in his hands. Gabriel had offered to sit with Sam while he did his watch but this was the first chance Sam would get to be alone with Dean since the hunt. He just wanted to talk. 

"You always told me you would kill me if I did this to you, but look at you doing this to me. You can't leave me like this, you know I don't like it when i'm uncertain and you being in a coma. Dude I don't know if you're going to wake up or-or..." Sam didn't cry, he just got too sad to speak for a minute. This is where Sam needed Dean to put his hand on his shoulder and be there for him. In reality Sam knew that Dean would tell him to get a grip and go figure it out, but he chose to ignore that and thought about his version of things for a moment.

"So Cas said you spoke to him. I feel guilty because I told him I didn't believe him. But... you would definitely tell me if I was wrong... right?" he huffed, so Dean wasn't taking the bait right now, unlike him.

Sam couldn't face the idea of losing Dean. It wasn't a possibility. Because if Dean dies, it's Sam's fault. If Sam hadn't tricked them in to coming to this stupid retreat then they wouldn't be here. They wouldn't of met Bobby, Dean wouldn't of been desperate to get back in the game. This wouldn't of happened. He could hear Dean again, calling him stupid. That made him smile.

He decided to catch Dean up on his life. The little bit of flirting that had been going on between him and Gabe, how it was actually a big bit of flirting. How Sam had sort of, not really, dated a guy in college, so it wasn't the guy bit that made Sam unsure, it was the archangel bit. But then again, dating an archangel wasn't the craziest thing that would of happened, maybe it was the idea of a serious relationship. 

It was almost like a therapy session for Sam, except Dean couldn't kick him out after an hour... because of the coma and all. 

After about three hours of Sam talking non-stop (he hadn't realised how much he had to talk about) he took a moment of silence. In that moment of silence "bitch" was muttered by the only other person in the room. Sam smirked for a moment before realising what had actually happened. "Wait, say it again, Dean!" At that a tiny smirk appeared on Dean's face, within seconds Sam was on the phone.