Chapter 11 - What Does It Mean To Die?

----------Chapter Break (11) ----------

"So," you finally say as Ludwig and you make it down to Main Street. "What do you want to eat?"

"I don't know? I'm not that hungry." Ludwig said not really looking at you, you pulled the arm you had yours wrapped around closer.

"Well then I guess we could just walk around and eat something later. Oh look they're putting up the Christmas lights." You say a cheerful smile on your face.

"You don't see the war out here. When my father asked us to come back here, I asked him why. He must have bragged to you that we were on the front lines but we weren't. Most of the men who came that night weren't on the front lines."

"I don't really care, as long as that person doesn't take advantage of the soldiers." You reply thinking about Alfred and Matthew who were always in the midst of battle even though they were higher ups.

"You're father also bragged about you to us a lot."

"What?" You ask, surprised. You didn't even talk to Mr. Beilschmidt that much. Ludwig chuckled, and I could tell that he needed to get this off his chest considering that his father was in the hospital.

"He was actually really surprised that you had stuck with him throughout the entire year."

"Yeah, I guess I considered this place home."

"He also said you were usually the one who broke up fights and kept things in line like I had when I was working there."

"No wonder you were glaring at those men the other day." You could feel Ludwig tighten up.

The two of you ended up sitting on a bench facing the largest Christmas tree, the main attraction for Main Street for the upcoming holiday. People were decorating it with large ornaments and lights.

You lean your head into Ludwig's arm and his hand intertwines with yours.

"When I saw you for the first time I thought... Well that changed when I saw you jumped. You're different Y/N, you really are."

"Yeah." Maybe too different for you, you thought sadly.

"Y/N, can I ask you a question?"

"Ask away."

"What are you going to do once the war is over?"

You freeze up.

"Go home I guess." You mutter, "I'll go live with my brothers again. Maybe find something I enjoy and go to college."

"I've never asked where you lived."

"Far from here." You reply bluntly.

"At least I have your number." The phone you currently had was issued to you by America was like the laptop and all your other equipment was. Disposable. Maybe before you leave you'll leave him your real number once you get your old phone back.

Maybe even a letter too.

To explain.

To apologize.

"Yeah." Is all you can say.

"Do you want to head back?"

"I want to stay here for a while." You whisper back. You both stay there in silence watching as a huge group of men and women begin to hoist the large star that was going to the top of the tree up.